Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 09:48:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Mary Queen of Scots Way

Perfect companion: our popular waterproof guidebook was published in 2012
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Mary Queen of Scots Way
| | |-+  Successful MQS walk by Jonathan Evason

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Successful MQS walk by Jonathan Evason  (Read 7855 times)
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:19 am »

On 21 October 2012, Jonathan Evason completed his 107-mile MQS walk by dipping his toes in the North Sea at St Andrews. We salute and congratulate his achievement. Why is it remarkable? Well, Jonathan was born in 1964 with Down's Syndrome and has an artificial hip. He was doing the walk to raise funds for Jennyruth Workshops.

Jonathan's father Barrie tells the story of how the two of them started a small craft business that has grown into Jennyruth Workshops on his Facebook page. And the story of Jonathan's walk is also told there, with lots of photographs.

This is the sixth and longest walk he has completed. There's a 5-minute video of his West Highland Way walk here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:18:38 am by Jacquetta » Logged

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
oldbodger

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:30:00 pm »

First time ever for me to join in on a forum, but I want to say that Jonathan (my son) and I have just finished the MQSW and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jonathan has Down's syndrome, and he and I often have quality time together walking mainly in the Yorkshire Dales and Moors. On the MQS Way work was going on around the water supply when we went through the area west of Aberfoyle, but we had no problems, indeed it was a very attractive part of the Way. After Callander the weather was dreadful for most of the way, heavy rain and mists obliterating the long views.

We were doing it as a sponsored walk so Jonathan was determined that we would finish. The parts over moorland in the Ochils were very boggy and hard walking so I was very proud of his determination. Jonathan grew up in Scotland, Aberdeen and Isle of Skye and although he is not a Scot, he would like to be.  We have done many of the Rucksack Readers walks together, and towards the end he turned to me and said "Best walk we have done, this, isn't it dad?!". I had tipped at least a cupful of water out of his boots not long before!!

I almost agree with him, in half decent weather I think it would rate with the best, WHW and Rob Roy Way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:27:50 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: