Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 08:40:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Speyside Way

Perfect companion: 2nd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, updated in 2016
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Speyside Way, Buckie to Aviemore, Scotland
| | |-+  News from the route (July 2012)

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: News from the route (July 2012)  (Read 15577 times)
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:58 am »

The long-standing proposal to extend the route from Aviemore to Newtonmore inched forward last month when the Minister for the Environment, Stewart Stevenson, confirmed Scotland's first Path Order to allow the route to cross Kinrara Estate ground immediately south of Aviemore. The Estate has been the main obstacle to this route extension, and after extensive consultation and attempts at persuasion, it's great that the Cairngorm National Park Authority has finally used its powers.

And at a more mundane level, it's good to see that, after a 3-month closure for repairs, the old railway viaduct at Ballindalloch has reopened according to the official website. This allows walkers to walk across the River Spey as normal, instead of being bussed around it.  Strictly speaking, I don't actually know that it has reopened, only that the website says it was due to reopen yesterday: can anybody out there confirm?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:15:38 am by Jacquetta » Logged

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:39:03 pm »

Hi

I have recently (March 2013) undertaken the Newtonmore to Aviemore section that is the proposed addition to the Speyside Way. By my calculations this will add about 26 miles to the Speyside Way, assuming it follows the path of the East Highland Way. The biggest plus point, in my opinion, is that there will finally be some better mapping and waymarking on this route. The stretch following the Badenoch Way is good, but the remainder leaves much to be desired.

I can recommend the bunkhouse/hostel in the middle of Newtonmore for accommodation and the Glen Hotel, which is just across the road, for food and drink.

I am in the (very) early stages of planning to do the Speyside Way in 2014 and would be interested to receive 'up-to-date' information on bag transfer, hostels/bunkhouses and the best direction to walk. I have looked at the Footprint map, as well as the RR Guides, but am still open to persuasion. Any information you, or any other readers, can provide, will be very much appreciated.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:11:03 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18:28 pm »

Hi there
Great to hear of your experiences, Buggiba, and it helps everybody, providers and walkers alike, when you share recommendations for accommodation such as your bunkhouse. Can you tell us its phone number or website?

It was easy enough to find the Glen Hotel so thanks for that.

I'd love a good source on the Speyside Way too. It's kind of disappointing that the official website carries no news since July 2012 and I wish I could tell you more about the extension. This is a useful reminder to probe a bit more.

As far as direction to walk, I've always done it from sea to source, Buckie to Aviemore, because you start with flattish, very manageable distances and end with the more challenging stuff. However, I can see the argument for starting high and ending downhill. Has anybody other ideas?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:25:28 pm »

The bunkhouse is actually called the Newtonmore Hostel and is behind Craigellachie House on the Main Street in Newtonmore and can be phoned on 01540-673360. The people who own/run it are brilliant (and English). There is even a fire made up for your arrival (most welcome!) that only needs a match put to it. Showers, drying room and kitchen facilities are first rate. The beds were good too Cheesy. There is a website but I just searched 'hostels, Newtonmore' and went from there Tongue.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:43:45 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: