Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 01:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
861 Posts in 241 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Kintyre Way

Perfect companion: 2nd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, fully updated in 2011
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Kintyre Way, western Scotland
| | |-+  Camping and drinking water on Kintyre Way
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Camping and drinking water on Kintyre Way  (Read 27921 times)
Da PAN

« on: March 21, 2007, 08:05:13 AM »

Hello,

We want to stay in our tent when we walk the Kintyre Way. Are there any nice spots to put up the tent for the night that you can recommend? Is it possible to drink the water from the rivers in that area or do we have to expect diseases like the "beaver fever" in Canada?  Huh

Regards,
Henry
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:27:19 AM »

Hey Henry
Sorry, can't speak from experience (I'm a softie, I prefer a B&B at end of a day's walk, especially if it's been raining all day) but I can look up the current map for you, which shows campsites near Tarbert, at Clachan, north of Tayinloan, Carradale, between Campbeltown and Machrihanish and at Dunaverty.  So the coverage isn't bad, though most would need an overnight wild camp between Carradale and Campbeltown.  There are bound to be websites that review campsites: can anybody advise?

Also, the standard advice about water here is never to drink casual water without treating it.  We don't have beaver fever in Scotland, but there are normally sheep and other animals breeding and excreting upstream of any water you will walk past, so it's normal to carry the excellent water available free from nearly all Scottish taps.  Personally I might carry iodine tablets if I was worried about thirst on hot weather/long days, but most people wouldn't bother.

If nobody replies on campsites, try a web search and do tell us how you get on, thanks - Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
brian shepherd

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:09:38 AM »

Think I may have replied to your query earlier. Campsites at Point Sands (mile north of Tayinloan: Kintyre Way passes through the site) Carradale, Machrihanish and Southend. Between Tarbert and Claonaig you can camp on the foreshore or in the rough grazing on the other side of the road: it seems to be an accepted thing. I live in the area and I also operate Tayinloan Taxi and Baggage Transfers.  If I can help at all with local information, just ask.

If you want to know about buses from Glasgow, www.citylink.co.uk operate services 4 each way daily, except Sunday 3 each way. Flights with BA from Glasgow International direct to Campbeltown around 09.00hrs and 16.30 hrs daily except Saturday and Sunday.
Any other questions, just ask.

All the best
Brian Shepherd 
libby

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

Hi Henry, I can confirm that the drinking water from tap on the Kintyre is fantastic - it tasted better than any of our bottled water. A very kind lady in Clachan filled our bottles for us  ( she was doing her gardening and stopped for a chat).
Brians service is very good and our bags always got there before us.
                                                    regards Elizabeth
brian shepherd

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »

Hello Henry

Sorry I did not tell you about the Muasdale Holiday park which has camping pitches its 6 or 7 miles south of Tayinloan and there is a good shop in the village as well.

Cheers

Brian
Da PAN

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:56:32 PM »

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the very useful hints and tips. We are going to start tomorrow! The weather forecast looks good and I am strongly looking forward to jumping of the bus in Tarbert and start walking Smiley

Regards
Henry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: