Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:23:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  gps

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: gps  (Read 9029 times)
sue k
Energetic Member

gps
« on: February 28, 2007, 04:34:23 pm »

What exactly is gps? How can it help me? Is it easy to use? And is it worth the money? My navigation skills probably are not great, but fortunately have never been put to the test. I have read of gps devices for hikers and would be interested to know more.
I'm sure someone can help?  Huh
RoyHayward
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:21:42 pm »

Hi Sue,

Found that the following definition to be the most comprehensive - "GPS ( Global Positioning System ) satellite navigation units are hand-held receivers that pick up signals from satellites circling the earth, processing the information to give a read-out as a grid reference and an altitude to an accuracy of around 20m. They can be pre-programmed with a series of points along the route and will work out the bearing and distance required to reach them. However, they are not a substitute for traditional navigation and route-planning skills, which are in any case required to use GPS most effectively. Unlike compasses, GPS systems can run out of battery power and may lose satellite contact in bad conditions."
Never used one myself as I love to plan a route in detail using the guides ( Rucksack of couse ) and maps. Always carry the 'old faithful' compass.
However, I was researching a similar theme and used the Ramblers web site to see if they had a gps thread going in their forums and came across www.ramblers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5036 Interesting reading in that there's a feeling that it's used as a back-up in case of problems rather than the other way round.
Be great to have our own thread running but the above may help in the short term.
Roy.

sue k
Energetic Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 05:03:50 pm »

Thanks Roy
Interesting reading the thread on the ramblers website. On consideration of what most people seem to be saying, I think I will save my money and brush up on compass skills - just in case they are needed.
sue k  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: