Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:46:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Treks in Morocco.

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Treks in Morocco.  (Read 8133 times)
yedrup

« on: February 26, 2007, 04:27:16 pm »

Hi everyone,

Yedrup here, the latest recruit to R.R. I will be going on a trek to the Jebel Sahro region of Morocco at the beginning of April, and never having been to the country before, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the region? such as the customs,people, conditions  and any general information that may be of help to me. I would be most grateful for any help you can let me have.

Yedrup
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:16 pm »

Welcome Yedrup (Purdey??) ... I haven't been to Jbel Sahro, but spent 3 weeks on a circuit and ascent of Jbel Toubkal followed by the Mgoun Massif (which should result in another Rucksack Reader eventually).  Meantime, to read up on the wonderful Berber people, how to avoid giving offence accidentally and the unique villages of the region, try the Cicerone book "Trekking in the Atlas Mountains" by Karl Smith (there's also a Trailblazer guide but I find their maps hopeless).

On a practical note, I suggest toughening up your feet (surgical spirit?) before you go as I got blisters from the intense heat (tho' April should be much cooler than May/June).  Also take plenty of duck/duct tape: my supply was used to fix a variety of things from Platypus, to sunglasses and even a hiking boot!  In that heat, the sole can separate from the boot and wrapping duck tape round the whole thing at least allows the victim of a cheap boot to walk safely to a proper repair!

Can anybody else contribute some experience here?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
yedrup

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 06:51:07 pm »

Well spotted Jaquetta, Yedrup is indeed Purdey backwards, it was the kennel name of my lovely dog whom we sadly lost late last year.

Thank you for the info on the book about the Berber people, it is exactly what I am after, I would hate to give offence, as I have been told that they are very proud people and are excellent hosts.

The tip on taking some duck tape is very interesting, although I have a very good pair of boots, these things can happen, I have had them for a long time and have done a lot of miles so let's hope they will see me safely through the trek.

I do quite a lot of walking so don't envisage having blisters (keeping fingers crossed) but I will have plenty of plasters in my first aid kit.  Let's hope I get some more tips before I go there.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: