Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:24:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Cowal Way

Perfect companion: our popular waterproof guidebook (2016) also covers Isle of Bute
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Cowal Way, Portavadie to Inveruglas, Scotland
| | |-+  Where is the proper map for the Cowal Way?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where is the proper map for the Cowal Way?  (Read 12773 times)
Louise

Email
« on: February 20, 2007, 05:22:48 pm »

As it's short (only 47 miles) it seems to us a nice walk to do. The problem is that a proper map is only available online.
I found a booklet in which is some information. For me this is not enough to plan a proper walk.

Also it seems there is not much accommodation along the way. And it looks like a bunch of walks each with the same start and finishing point.
Has any one walked this Way?
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:21:44 pm »

Hey Louise
Sorry, I haven't walked it either, but as a walker I agree about wanting a proper printed map.  The booklet is OK but it tries to do two different things:
a) describe a series of circular walks, dotted around the Cowal peninsula
b) describe a "spine walk" which traverses Cowal from west to east
and it's not easy to combine these without falling between two stools.

Coming from a long distance like the Netherlands, I think I'd be looking for a route where there weren't so many logistic problems.  But, like you, I'd really like to hear from somebody who has tried it.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:34:43 pm »

Update, over a year later!  There are proper maps (Ordnance Survey Explorer sheets 362, 363 and 364 show most of the Way and are at 1:25,000) and we are about to publish a proper guidebook.  Even better, the Cowal Way has now been extended to 57 miles (92 km) and it links up the Kintyre Way with the West Highland Way.

I walked it in February 09, and it's a great combination of sea lochs, rugged scenery, forest and moorland and accessible wildlife.  It's more strenuous than you'd expect from the overall distances, with some challenging terrain in places, but well worth doing.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Stottie
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:50:48 pm »

Update, over a year later!  There are proper maps (Ordnance Survey Explorer sheets 362, 363 and 364 show most of the Way and are at 1:25,000) and we are about to publish a proper guidebook.  Even better, the Cowal Way has now been extended to 57 miles (92 km) and it links up the Kintyre Way with the West Highland Way.

I walked it in February 09, and it's a great combination of sea lochs, rugged scenery, forest and moorland and accessible wildlife.  It's more strenuous than you'd expect from the overall distances, with some challenging terrain in places, but well worth doing.

The linkage of the routes sounds great. When I walked the Kintyre Way I looked enviously across the water to Rathlin Island and Fair Head. A year later I looked enviously from Fair Head to Kintyre. Can't we get that ferry going between Campbeltown and Ballycastle? Travel round Ireland, then up the west coast of Scotland...my dream.....
walkhighlands

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:00:23 pm »

There are also free online OS maps showing the route (together with full directions) at http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/cowal-way.shtml

Click on any stage and then choose to 'View or print map'
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: