Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:12:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Luggage carriers

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Luggage carriers  (Read 44226 times)
davem

« on: February 15, 2007, 08:16:58 pm »

hello all

Tip for those thinking of walking the Way - don't carrry your luggage. After trudging through my first two long distance walks I found it much more enjoyable  with only a day sack.

On the WHW I can recommend http://www.ams-scotland.com/mainframe.html and they were great. They delivered door to door at all the stops for a very reasonalble price. Enjoy the walk Grin

Dave

Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:36:58 am »

Another perspective on Dave's point: if you can't travel light, consider using a baggage service, such as Travelite or AMS.  Personally I find that water is the heaviest single item I need, and since waterproofs and a camera and a few other things would be with me in the daysack anyway, it's easy enough to cut down the overnight stuff to a small percentage of what I'm carrying.  But this is based on staying in B&Bs not carrying a tent, sleeping bag+mat, cooker and food etc.

It's a very individual thing to decide what you need for a week. If you can't travel light, then I'd agree with Dave.  But I rather enjoy the simplicity of having minimal belongings for a week, and it certainly makes packing up each morning quick and easy!

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
JennieL
Energetic Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:21:11 pm »

Well I and my friends used Travel-Lite who've been doing it for over 12 years and they were great: friendly, helpful and good value at GBP33 Smiley  I can't imagine travelling so light I'd want to carry everything Shocked

We had already bought the Giftpack from Rucksack Readers (book, map and DVD for only £25) and found all three bits excellent, so there were no surprises. Recommended!
Jennie
TomAMoore
Energetic Member

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:10:21 pm »

Since I have to use a medical device, a CPAP machine, there is no way I could carry it and the needed overnight material. A service like this is a godsend to me. We don't have anything like this in the States on the long trails.

Tom
steve-o
Energetic Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:12 am »

Just an update and question on this: AMS do north to south, they do NOT visit Inversnaid, charge is £45.00 per bag per person up to 20kg weight limit.  Travel-Lite do NOT do north to south, £40.00 per bag per person.

Anyone got any more recommendations for luggage carriers, please? I'm still keen to do north to south.
Buggiba

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:22:40 pm »

I assume from your comments that you intend staying at Inversnaid. Would it not be possible to carry on to Rowardennan, where there is a hotel and a youth hostel? I am sure AMS call there Undecided
steve-o
Energetic Member

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:33:41 pm »

Not any more  Smiley ... I've reworked my plan now and will be walking that section from Inverarnan to Rowardennan ...TBH it was your mention of the YHA that helped  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:58:46 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:25 pm »

My pleasure. According to their website they have full availability for your proposed period and they come in at about £18-75 a night including SYHA membership Smiley.
Allan

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:36:26 am »

Not many people do the trip north to south so AMS is the only bag carrier option. I found them 100% reliable and would recommend them (I have used the other service south to north on 2 occasions with only one problem)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:58:28 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 05:10:51 pm »

I have used Travel-Lite for each of the 3 occasions I have walked the WHW and never found them wanting. An excellent service at a very reasonable price. Much better than carrying your home on your back.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: