Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 06:41:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Rob Roy Way

Perfect companion: 3rd ed (2012) of our popular waterproof guidebook for this newly recognised Scotland's Great Trail
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Rob Roy Way, from Drymen to Pitlochry, Scotland
| | |-+  Maps of the Rob Roy Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Maps of the Rob Roy Way  (Read 46053 times)
Louise

Email
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:24:11 pm »

We are planning to walk the Rob Roy Way coming May.
As we have to organize everything from Holland  by the internet and not so familiar with the region I allways want a good detailed map.
As for the booklet and Map from the Rucksack readers it seems very easy but is it enough if there are no marks on the route?
I orderd now three maps at ordnance Survey to cover the track and I hope these will do. But I would prefere just one map.

Has any one any advise?  Huh
RoyHayward
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:24:06 pm »

Hi Louise,
You come over here and I go to Nijmegen !!
I've completed both the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way over the past 2 years and have found the Rucksack guides more than adequate for those walks - and they have also provided details of interesting side walks to go on. However, I've also taken a waterproof map with me for obvious reasons - I used Harvey maps but I notice in other postings that Footprint maps are highly recommended. Can't seem to find a specific Rob Roy Way map though. The RRW web site www.robroyway.fsnet.co.uk gives a very detailed section by section description of the route which you may find useful to add details to your OS maps.
Hope that helps?
Roy
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:21:08 am »

Roy is right, there isn't a dedicated Rob Roy Way map yet, although we have suggested to Footprint that they should consider publishing one.  If that works out we will certainly sell it on through the website in preference to the current option - a Forestry Commission map of the southern portion only, at a small scale of 1:80,000.  This is far from ideal but very much cheaper than OS maps which anyway don't yet even mark the route (again we are working on this, but it takes longer than you would believe). 

Meantime visit http://www.robroyway.com/ and click Defined in Detail then Grid Reference Route Instructions and as Roy says you'll be able to mark up the OS maps for yourself.  Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Louise

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 05:12:49 pm »

:)Hello Jacquetta, and Roy

Thanks for your reactions!
I do hope so that a proper map will be developed!
Meanwhile I made the preparations for the overnight stays on the Rob Roy Way, used the official site for it and it worked very well (as I did on the GGW, WHW and Speyside Way)
I also received the OS Landranger maps and I'm marking the route on it. As you told me it is expensive, but getting lost or detours of many miles can be prevented (I hope ).
I read a lot of the reactions on almost every item. It's sharpening my memories, and inviting to do the walks an other time!

Does Rucksack Readers intend to keep this forum alive? I do hope so, its very interesting and stimulating  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:45:50 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
JennieL
Energetic Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 10:18:43 am »

I've used Footprint maps on two long walks already (plus some local ones) and I think they're brilliant: clear, compact and waterproof, yet half the price of the main competition: Harvey's maps are also good but their Superwalkers just went up again to £9.95 and their new Speyside Way map is £11.95 making it more expensive than the Rucksack Reader!  I also wonder about the effects of "virtually indestructible" polyethylene maps (their description) on the environment when there are bound to be new editions in future.  So c'mon Footprint, tell us if you'll do a dedicated Rob Roy Way map so we can support your approach.  Walkers shouldn't have to download grid refs and mark up OS maps, there must be a better way!
sue k
Energetic Member

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:45:54 pm »

Hi
Nobody has posted any comments on this topic for quite a while, but I am thinking of walking the Rob Roy Way this year. I am wondering if Louise completed the walk? Presumably there are no new maps to guide me? I have only done walks with my trusty Rucksack Reader, plus waymarkers and am interested to know from anyone who has completed Rob Roy for advice.
Thanks
suek   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:31:10 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:16:41 pm »

Happy to update you with the little that we know ... Footprint are considering doing a map, but it won't be out this year and it isn't even certain for 2009.

Meantime OS, bless them, finally printed our route in 2007, at least on their Explorer series.  Ever since, we've been offering a 4-map package (sheets 365, 378, 379 and 386) at a 25% discount (GBP24 instead of GBP32) as an option from our website: please see http://rucsacs.com/books/rrw/ for more.  We send maps, like books, post-free in the UK.

Once the Footprint map is released, we will probably switch back to offering it, but don't hold your breath, they're really busy!  Hope this helps.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
sue k
Energetic Member

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:01:01 pm »

Thanks for your comments Jacquetta. I shall be ordering the OS maps from you in due course, and will report back here later in the year.
sue k Smiley
katymonkey

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:50:21 pm »

I completed this walk last year and found the Rucksack Reader to be fairly straight forward for the most part. We aren't very good with compasses and find the readers suit us better as they point out landmarks. The only area were we struggled a bit was from Acharn  after the army built observation platform to the Birks of Aberfeldy. We walked from Callander to Killin in one day and found it to be tough on our legs as a lot of this section is on tarmac.

Highly recommend 6 the beeches in Aberfeldy with Jim and Margaret, beautiful room, great breakfast, very friendly
sue k
Energetic Member

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:34:34 pm »

Hi everyone
Just back from walking the Rob Roy Way, and it was wonderful! We had one rainy day but otherwise the weather was perfect. The walking was great, and varied. The Rucksack Reader was invaluable, and the OS maps were a great help to confirm that we were on the right path in the right direction.
We stayed 5 nights in bed and breakfast accommodation, and 4 out of 5 were great. 
Absolutely the very best was The Barn in Killin. The first night was in Aberfoyle at Mayfield - very friendly and comfortable.  The third night was in Killin, and I would recommend the Barn to anyone.  Next night was at Acharn with Mrs June Spiers, and that was great, but I believe she is selling up so I am not sure it will be as good without June, her evening meal was amazing!  Our last night was in Aberfeldy and we stayed with Cathy Ross in Rannoch Road. Cathy is a very friendly lady - we were made very welcome, and the shower was the best! We enjoyed a really good meal at the local Indian restaurant.

I would recommend the Rob Roy Way to anyone. In the hills after Killin. we thought that we found the very best picnic spot in all the world!  Happy walking!
sue k   Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: