Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:49:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  South Downs Way
| | |-+  Good Beer Guide to the South Downs Way .

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good Beer Guide to the South Downs Way .  (Read 363 times)
Buggiba

« on: July 30, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »

There now follows a list of the licensed houses I visited, and what traditional beers they had on offer, during my stroll along the South Downs Way in July 2017. All of the pubs I called at offered at least one real ale and all that I tried were of a good quality.

1. Wonston Arms, Wonston, Near Winchester. Thwaites Wainwright 4.1%, Bowman Ales Trebuchet Wheat Beer 4.5%, Redcat Raiona 6%. Listed in the 2017 GBG.

2. Shoe Inn, Exton. Wadworths IPA, 6X, Swordfish, Bishop's Tipple. Bath Ales Prophecy.

3. The Bluebell at Cocking. Ballards Best Bitter (gravity fed straight from the barrel.) Lovely.

4. Bridge Inn, Houghton Bridge, Amberley. GBG 2017 listed. Longman Brewery Long Blonde, Harvey's Best Bitter, Timothy Taylor Landlord. Landlord replaced by St Austell Tribute.

5. Squire and Horse, Bury. Arundel Sussex Gold, Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter. 2 redundant handpulls  Sad.

6. Both of the youth hostels, at Truleigh Hill and Southease, had Wells Bombardier in bottles. Acceptable.

7. Abergavenny Arms, Rodmell. Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter, Dark Star Hophead and Dark Star Sunburst.

8. George Inn, Alfriston. Morland's Old Speckled Hen, Dark Star Hophead, Greene King Abbot Ale, Hardy's and Hanson's Old Trip.

9. Market Inn (Old Smuggler's), Alfriston. Longman American Pale Ale, Longman Sleeping Giant, Harvey's Olympia, Harvey's Sussex Best, Burning Sky Plateau Pale Ale and Seacider, traditional Sussex cider.

10. Star Inn, Alfriston. Longman Sleeping Giant and Longman Best Bitter.

Sadly there was insufficient time to visit any hostelries in Eastbourne. Something for another day, perhaps Wink.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: