Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 07:37:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  South Downs Way
| | |-+  About the South Downs Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: About the South Downs Way  (Read 2616 times)
Buggiba

« on: September 29, 2016, 08:37:30 pm »

Looking at taking on the South Downs Way in 2017, over 7 days. Much has changed since the Rucksack Reader was published in 2011 and I feel that other walkers may benefit from news and updates as I prepare to book accommodation and transport. A Good Beer Guide for the walk may also follow  Cheesy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:35:41 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:32 am »

My plans to walk the South Downs Way in July 2017 are now well advanced. I have discovered many difficulties and much information that may be of use to fellow walkers of this 100-mile route.
1) The Flint Barns bunkhouse at Alfriston is only available to large groups. No solo facility at all.
2) Alfriston Youth Hostel has closed down.
3) The Youth Hostel at Warningcamp has also closed down.
4) Moonlight Cottage and Tea Rooms in Cocking now has a bunkhouse facility  Smiley.
5) There is now a Youth Hostel at Itford Hill, near Southease. Known as the South Downs Hostel.
6) There is only one bag-carrying service for those people arranging their own walks. Sadly it is £22 per drop, meaning that, for a 6-night, 7-day, event, this would cost £132  Angry. This is more than 3 times what I paid when walking the West Highland Way in Spring 2016, over the same timescale, and would encourage me to pack light and carry my own belongings.

More details as they become available.
Buggiba

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:37:44 pm »

I have now successfully completed my accommodation bookings for my stroll along the South Downs Way in July 2017, none of which is far from the path.  Smiley Smiley.
End of day 1 at the Wetherdown Lodge, East Meon. (part of the Sustainability Centre.)
End of day 2 at the bunkhouse at Moonlight Cottage, Cocking.
End of Day 3 at the Harkaway B&B in Bury, near Amberley.
End of day 4 at the Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel.
End of Day 5 at the South Downs Way Youth Hostel.
End of day 6 at the Chestnuts B&B in Alfriston.

This itinerary gives me daily totals of (approx. ) 18 miles, 17 miles, 12 miles, 15 miles, 20 miles, 8 miles and a 10 mile amble in to Eastbourne before catching the train back to Winchester, via Southampton. Hopefully, summer in Hampshire and Sussex should be reasonably pleasant and warm. We shall see.

Still unable to locate a bag-carrying service at a reasonable price. Looks like I shall be toting my own stuff but packing light  Angry.
Buggiba

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:51:53 pm »

My original plan was to drive from the Midlands in the early hours of the Friday morning before commencing my 18-mile first day's walk. I had investigated staying the Thursday night in Winchester but the prices were prohibitive for a solo traveller. Imagine my surprise when I received a message from Booking.com, informing me that the Days Inn lodge at Sutton Scotney, just 10 miles north of Winchester, had rooms for my date at just 5 GBP per night. Now booked and confirmed Grin. Much better than a 130-mile drive prior to a 10-hour hike. Result  Smiley Smiley Smiley.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:54:04 pm by Buggiba » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »

Only 6 weeks now until I take on my 7-day stroll over the South Downs Way. I am seeking somewhere very close to Winchester where I can leave my car securely, and hopefully cheaply, for the duration of the walk. Any information or assistance would be most gratefully received.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: