Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:14:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Great Glen Way

Perfect companion: 5th edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, extended and revised in 2014/16 to cover the High Route and other updates
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Great Glen Way, Fort William to Inverness, Scotland
| | |-+  Completing the Great Glen Way again!

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Completing the Great Glen Way again!  (Read 2537 times)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:54:41 am »

I've just got back home from completing the GGW yet again, and had one heck of a good time doing it. Got caught under canvas in that heavy rain storm though.

I started at Fort William then walked to Gairlochy where I camped by the side of the lock, lovely views of Ben Nevis in the distance. Then on day 2,  it was on to South Laggan where I stopped at the always welcoming Great Glen Hostel. Day 3, I walked from South Laggan to Fort Augustus, where I camped at Stravaigers Lodge campsite. I also noticed that  great improvements have been made to the footpath, as far as Aberchalder swing bridge, making it very easy going, and also accessible to disabled people.

Day 4, start of the hills, had a short day (8.5 miles only) and walked on to Invermoristion where I stayed at the Glenmoriston Arms Hotel, the SYHA Loch Ness no longer being available four miles further on. Day 5, had a 14 mile hike to Drumnadrochit took my time going up the hills, but got there in the end.

Day 6, the long one. Started out early (5:30) now it is my contention that the hill you are faced with after turning off the road at Temple House after leaving Drumnadrochit, is one of the steepest and hardest of the entire walk, and not all together the safest of paths in parts, However, once the top is reached you do get a true sense of achievement. Then it's on to the Abriachan forest, where I stopped at the ever welcoming eco-café to rest my tired old legs. Suitably rested and recharged I set off again and reached Inverness Castle having taking nine hours and fifty-five minutes to complete the walk from Drumnadrochit to Inverness. Not fast I can hear you all saying, but not too bad either for a 65 year old man carrying a heavy rucksack and full camping gear.

The main thing is, I met some really nice people on my journey and had the most enjoyable  time as always, doing the GGW. I hope you do too. See you all on the trail!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:34:51 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:37:32 pm »

Great to hear your update, Jack, and well done. I don't think that 10 hours is slow for 20 miles, especially carrying heavy loads. Lots of people think they walk at 3 mph - and maybe they do on flat city pavements!

For long days, I regard 2mph as a sensible guideline for hilly country and rough terrain, because although I'm sometimes faster, arriving earlier is then a bonus. Cautious expectations are a good safety factor.

Anyway it's wonderful that you enjoyed it again, and thanks for posting.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: