Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 03:57:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Kintyre Way

Perfect companion: 2nd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, fully updated in 2016
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Kintyre Way, western Scotland
| | |-+  Info I would have wanted before walking Kintyre Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Info I would have wanted before walking Kintyre Way  (Read 3742 times)
Mason
Energetic Member

Email
« on: July 06, 2016, 01:27:19 am »

1) Tarbert Claonaig

Massive ditch to jump in boggy area. Not lethal, but a 100% chance of getting soaked. In Skipness there is a little shop for drinks and sweeties. Between Tarbert and Claonaig there are MANY places to wild-camp along the shore. Some people take the ferry to Lochranza = "Black Island" / Tintin to stay in a hostel or sleep better than in a tent. cost about 4.50 one way.

2) Claonaig - Clachan

Simple distance and a good place to pitch a tent along the way. I strongly urge any walker _not_ to try to finish at Clachan unless in a hotel or B&B. 2 Miles after Clachan you can wild-camp on a beautiful beach along the road. It is called "Seal Point" if you are into wild camping http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/a83_seal_point/clachan/

3) Clachan / Seal Point to Tayinloan

Short walk with ankle-killing stones on the beach. Tayinloan has a little shop in the village and a place just by the ferry where you can eat and drink "Big Jessies". Before you come to Tayinloan, you will find the finest place in Scotland (in my modest opinion) to wild-camp, just before "Point Sands holiday park". We were dry on everything so we did not stop, but that is really something!! Also talked to the ranger who said its fine to camp a bit outside that caravan park along the way.

4) Tayinloan - Carradale

Carradale offers a good camping and a few B&Bs and a great pub.

5) Carradale - Campbeltown

A seriously hard descent. Other than that, a good easy walk.Campbeltown does not have a camping but many B&Bs, good food and budget opportunities.

6) Campbeltown - Southend

Easy walk. In Southend there are many good places for wild-camping if you keep your eyes left of the golf course. We stayed in a little cove just by a white house. The Argyll pub offered food, drinks and an everlasting friendship,15 min walking from where we pitched the tent. Southend has many opportunities for walkers. Start looking along the golf course.

7) Southend - Machrahanish

Did not walk this. Shin splints. When finishing in Machrahanish, there is a pub around the corner where among others the ranger works. Lovely camping further up the road with hobbit houses.

We had great weather and all the best circumstances and I am an 'experienced' walker after 2xWHW GGW, Hadrian's Wall, Knoydart and a few others. Kintyre Way is not old military roads like up in the Highlands. Kintyre way is highly "arranged" to pass businesses and I thought little of it compared to the alternatives. Sometimes it also makes ridiculous detours just to prolong the way. Because of shin splint i will get back one day and finish it, but i will never hold it as a "good fun alternative" to the many other walks available in Scotland.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:30:59 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: