Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:36:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

St Cuthbert's Way

Perfect companion: our popular waterproof guidebook (published 2010, revised 2016) with dropdown map
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  St Cuthbert's Way, Melrose to Lindisfarne
| | |-+  How many days for St Cuthbert's Way?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How many days for St Cuthbert's Way?  (Read 15828 times)
JennieL
Energetic Member

« on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:21 am »

Hi everybody

I'm looking for a new walk for 2011 but have only five days to spare (including travel from Edinburgh).  Can anybody tell me how long to allow for St Cuthbert's Way?

Thanks, Jennie
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:40 am »

Sounds like a great NY resolution, and St Cuthbert may well fit the bill, but it isn't a simple matter of computing the daily distance.  At first glance, 62 miles in 5 days sounds easy, but you need to consider the tides on your actual dates as well as your overnight stays.

The grand finale of the whole walk is the crossing to Lindisfarne, and not only is there is a limited tidal window but also it would be a shame not to have time to enjoy the Holy Island and get back to Edinburgh.  If you want to walk the Pilgrims Path barefoot on the sand and mud, the safe window is even shorter than using the causeway (which is passable to cars).  Our guidebook gives full details of how to work all this out.

In case it helps (quoting from Table 1 on page 7) if you give it only 5 days your daily walking mileages could be 16, 15, 13, 12 and 6 so you'd need some careful travel planning to get to Melrose and still walk 16 miles (or else you'd need to shift some miles from Day 1 to Day 2), and a lot of luck with the tides to visit, let alone enjoy Lindisfarne on Day 5.

Overall, if you can find an extra day, it would make for a much more relaxed walking holiday!  Good luck anyway.
Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:38:52 am »

If you find the St Cuthbert's Way is not appropriate have a look at the Borders Abbeys Way. Both walks share some common countryside. It is a nice 5-day circular walk, with ample B&B availability in the Borders' towns.
JennieL
Energetic Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:47:40 am »

Thanks so much: because of public transport at either end, it turns out that St Cuthbert's would be a real challenge and I hate walking under time pressure, so would rather keep that for when I've a free week (or at least six clear days).

However, it looks like Borders Abbeys Way (mouthful Huh) would be easier to complete.  Even though it's longer (68 miles cf 62), there are no tidal restrictions (Shocked) and the fact it's a loop means I can drive down and park at a friendly B&B.  Thanks also for the link to the online guidebook! Smiley
Jennie
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:00:43 am »

If you decide on the Borders Abbey Way here are the B&Bs we stayed at. There is no one I would say don't go to but there may have been a change of owner since. Some were better than others, as is always the case.
Melrose - Old Bank House, 27 Buccleuch Street
Kelso - Ingleston House, Abbey Row
Jedburgh - Allerton House, Oxnam Road
Hawick - Oakwood House, Buccleuch Road
Selkirk - The Glen Hotel, Yarrow Terrace

We walked in that order. We left our car in the Health Centre car park in Melrose which at the time was free of charge and was permissible. Out of courtesy we phoned them beforehand to check this was OK and at the end of the walk made a small donation to their funds for the benefit of patients. The car park is not far from the Old Bank House in Melrose. One advantage of this walk is you can start and finish at any of these towns.

If you do it I am sure you will enjoy it.
Good luck.
Buggiba

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:15 am »

Following the advice of B Smyth I am taking on the Borders Abbeys Way in August 2015, over 4 days. Being circular is a big advantage. There is a distinct lack of mapping, either RR or Footprint, for this walk but I am assured that way-marking is good. (Perhaps an addendum could be placed in the St Cuthbert's Way RR!!!) Accommodation and bag-carrying service is booked or reserved. Sadly no bunkhouses or hostels so reliant on B+B's alone. I will report back on completion of this amble.
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:20:41 am »

We did this walk in 2008 and from memory we may have had walking notes from Contours who organised the B and B and luggage transfer. However I can't lay my hands on any notes.They supplied us with four OS Explorer Maps which have the Borders Abbey Way route clearly marked except where it duplicates the St Cuthbert's Way e.g. when it leaves Melrose heading to the Eildons.
The map nos are 331 Teviotdale South (Hawick), 338 Galashiels, Selkirk and Melrose, 339 Kelso Coldstream and Lower Tweed Valley and OL16 The Cheviot Hills Jedburgh and Wooler. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:06:49 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:12:36 pm »

Thanks. I have sorted all accommodation and bag-carrying service myself. I find the kind of maps you mention OK for spreading out on a table at the beginning and end of the day, but far too cumbersome to refer to en route. I have managed to download some info from the Borders Abbeys Way website and hope this is good enough. We plan to commence and finish at Melrose, leaving us with a 10-mile last day walk from Selkirk. Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:09:01 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: