Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:43:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

St Cuthbert's Way

Perfect companion: our popular waterproof guidebook (published 2010, revised 2016) with dropdown map
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  St Cuthbert's Way, Melrose to Lindisfarne
| | |-+  Borders Abbeys Way.

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Borders Abbeys Way.  (Read 6250 times)
Buggiba

« on: August 28, 2015, 08:29:54 pm »

I have today (28/08/15) completed the Borders Abbeys Way over 4 days. In the absence of any forum of its own I will report my experiences when I return from holiday in 2 weeks time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:42:15 pm by Buggiba » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:24:14 pm »

We left home at lunchtime on Monday 24th August 2015 and motored to Melrose, stopping briefly en route at St Boswells. We had agreed to take on the 68-mile walk over 4 days, finishing the last day with a 10-mile stroll before driving back to Birmingham. We spent the Monday night at the Kings Arms in Melrose.
DAY 1 - Melrose to Kelso. The day dawned bright and dry, and stayed that way. Under way at 8am. Good way-marking as far as the Rhymers Stone, where we followed a path to Newstead instead of sticking to the road to Newtown St Boswells. Found the route again in St Boswells and experienced no problems passing Dryburgh and on to Kelso, where we arrived at 4.30pm. Overnight at the Cross Keys Hotel in the town square.
DAY2 - Kelso to Denholm. Not so lucky with the weather today. Left Kelso at 8.15 and proceeded, via Roxburgh, to Jedburgh, where we stopped for lunch. Here it started to rain and we had a pretty miserable walk into Denholm, where we arrived at 6.55pm. A long and tiring 20-mile day. Stayed overnight in the Auld Cross Keys Inn.
DAY 3 - Denholm to Selkirk. Another showery day today. Dry as we departed at 8.30am and proceeded, via Hawick, towards Selkirk. A lot of road walking today but good signposting for the route, as far as Hartwoodmyres Forest, the highest point of the entire walk. As we descended towards the road the way-marking disappeared and, navigating around some black-wrapped bales at a farm entrance, we arrived at the road with no indication of the way to go. There then followed a 4-mile hard road walk into Selkirk, where we arrived at 6pm at the County Hotel, where we spent the night.
DAY 4 - Selkirk to Melrose. Left at 8am. Showery again. All went well until just after Cauldshields Loch, where again the way-markers vanished. Having consulted the satnav facility on our mobiles we descended by road in the direction of Sir Walter Scott's house where we regained the route, followed the pleasant river walk and arrived in Melrose at 1pm, to be reunited with our bags and my car. A light lunch and we were on our way south towards the M6.
OVERVIEW. The Borders Abbeys Way is generally well way-marked. The scenery is pleasant and there are very few steep ascents or descents. Our mileages of 17.5, 18.5, 20 and 12 miles made for long, arduous days, not helped by staying in B+B's forcing us to leave about 2 hours later than I would have liked. We used a bag-carrying service which was absolutely magnificent, including dropping our bags back at the Kings Arms in Melrose on the last day. £100 for 2 bags was not cheap, but they did exactly what was promised. In the entire 68 miles we never saw anyone else walking the Way. All of the accommodation mentioned was superb and we would be happy to recommend each of the hostelries we stayed at.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:16:43 pm by Buggiba » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: