Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 05:00:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Hadrian's Wall Path
| | |-+  Hadrian's Wall Path.

« previous next »

Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall Path.  (Read 8867 times)
Buggiba

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:51:03 pm »

Finally the day arrived, Saturday 16th May 2015 and, together with my son-in-law, I set off for Port Carlisle, where our first night's accommodation was arranged. We duly arrived at Kirkland House about 7pm to be shown the camping barn, which was, in effect, a room with a large wooden stage. No bunks or beds or mattresses. The other facilities were good, however, and the owner quickly offered to provide blankets to soften our slumbers. We then set off to walk the 1.5 miles to Bowness-on-Solway and back, to negate the need to do this the following morning. A pleasant evening stroll to the start/finish of the Hadrian's wall Path. The official start/finish is at a 'bus shelter-like' building off the main road.

Sunday 17th May 2015. Up at 5am with a 24-mile hike in front of us. Walking at 6.05. Some intermittent showers and sunny spells greeted our long walk along the coast road to Burgh. A diversion followed as a result of a landslip so we enjoyed more road walking around Kirkandrews-on-Eden. After a pleasant river walk around Carlisle, passing the castle, we stopped for a break at Crosby where a warm welcome for Hadrian's Wall Walkers was assured. It seemed like a long last 6 miles to Sandysike Farm where we found an excellent bunkhouse with a real fire and comfy beds. An early night followed Smiley.

Monday 18th May 2015. A lie-in today till 7am as we only had 11 miles to walk Cheesy. Set off at 8.30am in rain Sad. A climb up to Banks and then a straightforward amble, in heavy showers, to our overnight accommodation at Greenhead. An excellent hotel and hostel.

Tuesday 19th May 2015. This was it. A 16-mile walk over the highest ground of the entire path. Up at 5am and walking at 6. Still raining. Early climb over Walltown Crags and then an almighty prolonged hail shower as we ascended Winshield Crags. Thank god the wind was behind us Grin. Another hail shower after our lunch stop at Housesteads as we scaled Sewingshields Crags. Lots of walkers coming towards us walking in to these showers amazed that we were doing it the other way. Hated telling them that they were walking in to a thunderstorm that was slowly following us Shocked. We arrived at our overnight stop at Greencarts Farm just before the heavens opened. My sympathies to those still out walking. The lady owner here pleasingly offered to drive us to the local pub and back so that we could obtain an evening meal. Graciously accepted.

Wednesday 20th May 2015. What a difference a day makes. Up at 5am and walking at 6.15. No waterproofs today as the weather is set fair. A steep climb out of Chollerford over St Oswald's Hill and then pretty level, following the road most of the way to Heddon-on-the-Wall. 19 miles finished by 2pm. The last bit was tedious with loads of ladder stiles.

Thursday 21st May 2015. Last day, only 15 miles, and either downhill or level. Not as easy as it sounds Angry. Up at 5am once more and walking by 5.45 Huh. Quickly on to the Wylam Waggonway and then riverside into Newcastle. Flat but hard-going and tedious. Still 5 miles left as we exit Newcastle and little to stimulate conversation or interest. Coming on to rain again. Arrived at Segedunum Museum about 1130 am. No start/finish marker here, other than the museum and viewing platform Sad. Nevertheless 86 miles completed with no blisters.

Overview: The first and last days are mostly flat and could be boring. The way-marking is excellent overall. The hardest portion of the Path is, undoubtedly, the climbs up, over and down the crags. Some steep and slippery sections too. Anyone taking on this hike should certainly consider doing it west to east. I must have been told 20+ times by walkers coming from the Newcastle direction that 'we had the weather behind us'. I told them that I had planned it this way. It would appear that a lot of the 'organised' tours do start from Newcastle.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:17:47 pm by Buggiba » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: