Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 04:53:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Hadrian's Wall Path
| | |-+  Hadrian's Wall Path.

« previous next »

Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall Path.  (Read 9443 times)
Buggiba

« on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »

Is there any reason why there is no forum for the Hadrian's Wall Path. I am contemplating taking this on in 2015 and would like to see what other people have done and where they have stayed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:15:58 am by Buggiba » Logged
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:11 pm »

We've had serious problems with forums over the years, Buggiba, and were spending ridiculous amounts of time and effort put into monitoring for spam posts and distinguishing fake would-be forum member registrations. As a result, about a year ago we discontinued new member registration, although anybody who actually wants to register can email me (info AT rucsacs.com) and I’ll register them.

Likewise I'll make a new board for Hadrian's Wall Path if anybody has anything to say, and move relevant posts to it. But so far I have the impression that people are more willing to post on social media than on our forums. Nevertheless, there's a lot of important content on these forums and it give us somewhere to post route updates, such as you'll find here about the Dales Way.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:11:49 pm »

I am in the process of reserving accommodation for this walk in May this year. Sadly I have had it confirmed that the Bluebell Camping Barn at High Crosby was closed down in 2014. Choice now whether to have a shorter first day and stay in Carlisle or add another 5 miles and head for Sandysike Bunkhouse. Not surprisingly, perhaps, I have elected for the latter option Smiley.
Buggiba

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:00:06 pm »

Further to my last entry I am also advised that the Chapel Side camping barn in Port Carlisle is no more than a barn with no bunks etc. Fortunately there is a bunkhouse in Bowness-on-Solway.
Buggiba

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:52 pm »

My last entry is erroneous. The Chapel Side Barn may not be suitable but there is a camping barn at Kirkland House, near to Port Carlisle, which should suit our needs perfectly. Car parking for the duration of our walk too.
Buggiba

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:23:39 pm »

After much work the plans for our walk along the HWP are now complete. Together with my son-in-law I intend to drive up to Port Carlisle on Saturday 16th May 2015 and spend overnight in the bunk-barn at Kirkland House in Port Carlisle. Whilst here we intend to walk to and from the start of the walk at Bowness-on-Solway before setting out the following day to cover the 23-mile amble to Sandysike Bunkhouse. Monday 18th May sees us with a 'short' 11-miler to Greenhead Hostel, prior to a longer 16 miles the following day to the bunk-barn at Greencarts farm. The penultimate day, Wednesday 20th May (my birthday) sees us take on the 19 miles to the bunkhouse at Houghton North Farm at Heddon-on-the Wall, just leaving us to cover the final 14 miles to Wallsend-on-Tyne on the Thursday, before catching the bus back to Port Carlisle and the long drive home. We intend using the Walkers Bag-Carrying service for the entirety of our trek so only having to carry what we need on a daily basis. Having sleeping bags in our main luggage also greatly reduces prices at the planned overnight stops. Only hoping now for some decent weather in mid May.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:17:16 am by Buggiba » Logged
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »

Great to see your plans have evolved, however I don't envy you the 23-mile day!

Have any of your bunkhouses and barns got websites? If so please add them in, or email them and I'll make your links hotlinks to them, so helping anybody who wants to follow this budget itinerary.

Thanks again for sharing

Buggiba

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:35:56 pm »

I thought you would comment on the 23-mile day Grin. An early rise and first-light start should see us finished by about 4pm. At least most of the first day is flat Smiley. It also gives us the advantage of an 'easy' second day when the terrain gets a little hillier.  

Greenhead Hotel and hostel has a website, as does Greencarts Farm and Houghton North Farm. No joy with the others I'm afraid. I will report my findings upon my return and may include a real ale listing of my travels. All of the people I have spoken to during my preparations for this walk have been incredibly friendly.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 08:07:09 am »

Thanks for that, Buggiba. The links are Greenhead Hotel, Greencarts Farm and Houghton North Farm.

Links are easy, but we're looking forward to seeing your real ale guide - once you've drunk your way along the route! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:13:52 am by Jacquetta » Logged

Buggiba

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 11:08:14 am »

Plans already made to call at the Highland Laddie at Glasson en route prior to commencement. GBG listed so this is a 'must visit'.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: