Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 12:56:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Wetherspoons arriving in Fort William

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wetherspoons arriving in Fort William  (Read 11194 times)
Buggiba

« on: April 02, 2013, 06:06:51 pm »

I have recently undertaken the East Highland Way, leaving from the start/finish point of the West Highland Way in Fort William. Less than 100yards from the 'sitting man' there is a building site, advertising the impending arrival of a Wetherspoons Lodge. To have accommodation, together with reasonably priced food and drink, so close to the start or end, will totally alter Fort William High Street. A lot of the pubs and eateries appear quite run down and this should be a wake-up call to them all. Grin.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:09:21 pm »

That's good news, it seems, because food and drink are so vital to all us walkers.

I have the fondest recollections of Ossian's Pub in the High Street: in 1998, as a late-onset walker I had just completed my very first long walk. My companions were all exhausted and it was late evening; the eateries we tried were not willing to admit dogs, and with us all having already walked a few miles from our B&B there seemed no alternative. Sad So I sent the four of them off to find whatever food they wanted before everywhere closed, and thought the worst that would befall me and our two dogs was fish and chips on the hoof. However, despite its carpeted stairs approach, Ossian's allowed us in, served me with two pints of real ale, steak pie to die for and even made up sandwiches for my ascent of Ben Nevis the next morning.  Grin

Fifteen years later I still feel grateful to them. No idea if they still exist, but I did NOT dream the whole experience! Affordable, accessible food and drink is what walkers thrive upon.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:23:58 am by Jacquetta » Logged

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54:06 pm »

The 'Great Glen', Wetherspoons new hostelry in Fort William, is now open. Located on the High Street and only yards from the 'new' end of the WHW and beginning of the EHW. The manager previously managed the company's establishment at Glasgow Airport.
Buggiba

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:50:32 am »

I have recently visited this hostelry and was exceedingly well impressed, not only with the building and its' location but also the effect this appears to have had on the main street in Fort William. Many businesses and premises which gave the impression of doom and gloom on my last visit 18 months ago have now been given a facelift and all appears much more presentable. The addition of a Travelodge next to the Wetherspoon's outlet can also only be a bonus.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: