Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 09:40:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Great Glen Way

Perfect companion: 5th edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, extended and revised in 2014/16 to cover the High Route and other updates
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Great Glen Way, Fort William to Inverness, Scotland
| | |-+  Great Glen Way 2012

« previous next »

Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Great Glen Way 2012  (Read 14880 times)
Buggiba

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »

I suppose that I have been spoiled, but the first time I saw Inverness was in August 1970. My lasting memory was of a place brought to a standstill on a Sunday teatime as an all-female pipe band marched through the main shopping area, kilts swirling – magnificent and eerie.

I have visited Inverness many times since but, regrettably, my 2 travelling companions had never been. They admit to being less than impressed with the city with the brief glimpse that they had en route to the bus station, but this is probably unfair. Hopefully we will have further opportunities to experience the delights of this lovely place in the not-too-distant future.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:40 am »

It's good to hear that you have feelings for Inverness, Buggiba. Given your footsore arrival at its castle and "a brief glimpse ... en route to the bus station", it's hardly surprising that your companions had no chance to develop any liking for the place. As you say, it was hardly a fair sample. Sad

Personally I hate walking to a deadline and although I wouldn't have minded your early starts, I wouldn't recommend your schedule to anybody. I suspect there was an atmosphere of challenge about the whole expedition – you describe it as a "4-day assault" – and maybe you had extreme pressures that forced you to restrict it to four days or maybe you were all enjoying the challenge. For most walkers I still think five days is a sensible minimum.

To avoid repetition, anybody interested in various options for splitting the route over 4 to 7 days should read this post and note its point about overall length.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »

The need for speed was that the first bus back to Fort William from Inverness on a Sunday was at 1245pm, not arriving until close on 3pm and followed by a 6 hour drive home. As 2 of us had to be back at work on the Monday, this was considered too much. A bus at about 8 or 9am would have meant us staying overnight in Inverness, a much more preferable option. As you say this was a challenge but the places chosen for accommodation were excellent and tremendous value for money. Only the last day was time constrained but the early starts were a bonus. On our second day we encountered 4 ladies who were just breaking camp at about 7.30am. They were amazed that we were out that early but they were taking 6 days over the route. Each to their own, I suppose, but the feeling of achievement was no less satisfying Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: