Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:27:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Explore the Inca Trail

Perfect companion: 3rd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, endorsed by John Hemming
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru
| | |-+  Wayna (Huayna) Picchu: book ahead online

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wayna (Huayna) Picchu: book ahead online  (Read 14024 times)
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:06 am »

It seems that the system for climbing Wayna (Huayna) Picchu has changed. It used to be that the first 400 hikers to sign in on the day were given free tickets, in two tranches of 200 each. The system is described on page 60 of our guidebook. I've just had an email saying that you now have to book well ahead, and online. I will try to find out exactly where and how, and update this post.

Wayna (Huayna) Picchu is not for those who suffer from vertigo; and the climb is more strenuous than many people realise. But there is nothing technically difficult (unless the weather is wet, in which case I'd give it a miss). When I visited while researching our guidebook, I was blessed with a clear day, and the views over the entire site seemed a tremendous reward. Here is an example:

* WaynaP.jpg (419.43 KB, 887x989 - viewed 1680 times.)

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
JennieL
Energetic Member

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:24:38 am »

I've just seen this announcement online about Wayna Picchu admission. I've very little Spanish but it looks as if your guidebook is still right about the numbers (two tranches of 200 each) and times: group 1 enters between 7.00 and 8.00 am, group 2 between 10.00 and 11.00.

I think it says that the only way to buy tickets is online via http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ or "en las oficinas de la DRC-C" but I don't know where the offices of DRC-C are. They have scanned some artwork for this page, thus defeating Google's translation option!

I've also seen some TripAdvisor grumbles that the official website is fussy about which payment cards it accepts and demands "Verified by Visa", but I haven't tried to book. The message seems to be that getting into Wayna Picchu has got even harder, so if it's important to you, ask your tour operator long, long in advance!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: