Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:19:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Explore the Inca Trail

Perfect companion: 3rd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, endorsed by John Hemming
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru
| | |-+  Hugh Thomson on Machu Picchu (Radio 4)

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hugh Thomson on Machu Picchu (Radio 4)  (Read 7674 times)
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: October 08, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »

I've just been listening to Hugh Thomson on Hiram Bingham and about who first discovered Machu Picchu. He explores what the centenary of his 24 July 1911 "discovery" actually means and interviews some very interesting people including John Hemming, and has footage from Cusco recorded in July as well as excerpts of Bingham's reminiscences. The 30-minute programme (broadcast on 5 October) makes great listening for Inca Trail aficionados, but may be available on iPlayer only for a while, so follow
this link
while you can. (The BBC says it will be available until January 2099 but I am sceptical of this.)

If you read this post too late to benefit, however, you will find nearly all of the programme's information content in Thomson's preface to Bingham's autobiography Lost City of the Incas (ISBN 978-1-84212-585-4) which we recommend in our new edition of Explore the Inca Trail.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
JennieL
Energetic Member

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:37 pm »

I'm delighted to say your scepticism is misplaced, Jacquetta! Smiley

I was very frustrated when I saw this post because I've just been reading your guidebook and thought I'd missed out on hearing Hugh Thomson. Sad But I tried the link anyway and it works just fine, even over 6 months later. Cheesy  So maybe it will last until 2099 but I won't be around to confirm this. Shocked

Meantime it's still available to all of us, which is great.  It's a fascinating programme with dramatised readings and great interviews intercut with contemporary recordings made on location at the time of the centenary, BBC Radio 4 at its best.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: