Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 05:33:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Harvey Maps

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Harvey Maps  (Read 10089 times)
walkerjohn

« on: February 05, 2007, 02:55:40 pm »

Hi,

I notice that Rucksack Readers has stopped promoting Harvey maps on its Scottish routes and gone over to the Footprint series instead.  Why is this?

John
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 05:30:06 pm »

Eagle-eyed, aren't you?  We made this change quietly, a few days ago, based on our experience of the last few months.  Footprint published their Speyside Way map only in 2006, so before that they didn't seem viable with only 2 of our 5 Scottish routes.  In September 2006, I re-walked the entire Speyside Way, and found that the Harvey Map stayed in my rucksack, whereas the Footprint map lived in my leg pocket!  Compared with Harvey's map, it's a handier size, clearer mapping, almost as large a scale (1:45,000 compared with 1:40,000), just as waterproof and half the price!

Don't get me wrong, I still think Harvey's mapping is good, but we want the maps we sell on to customers to be the best possible value-for-money, and now that Footprint cover 3 of our routes they have the edge.

What do other map users think?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
RoyHayward
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:31:08 pm »

Your article made me check what maps I had used on the West Highland Way ( Footprint ) and the Great Glen Way ( Harvey ). Both seem to have had their fair share of use but I see that I've added far more detail and notes onto my Footprint map. Being printed back-to-back it's far smaller and easier to use outdoors that the Harvey map and it's got the description and places of interest alongside each section 'strip'. Despite its slightly smaller size it doesn't lack the necessary detail and is easy to read and has all the essential information for walkers. As identified by Jacquetta it's great value for money and I also note that part of the selling price goes towards the practical management of the walk. That's my vote for Footprint.

Roy.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: