Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:09:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Knoydart

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Knoydart  (Read 7707 times)
Mason
Energetic Member

Email
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:42:34 pm »

Anyone with experience walking in the Knoydart peninsula? I am thinking about walking into Inverie, but it seems a bit desolate so i wonder if anyone has done it or spent time around there?

Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:22:06 pm »

Sorry, Mason, I've never walked there. I hope you find out a bit more before setting off! Shocked

Lonely Planet's Walking in Scotland has a paragraph or so on Kinloch Hourn to Inverie (page 271 in my edition) which is a public right of way. This appears to be 15 miles/24 km and it says (but be warned, this could have changed) "there's a bothy at Barrisdale Bay and a choice of accommodation at Inverie".

I suggest you get OS Explorer 1:25,000 map if you decide to tackle it. Note the post elsewhere about getting OS maps at 30% discount. Good luck! Smiley

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »

Hi Mason,
Sorry about the delay but I have just found this topic. I have made several sorties along the route from Kinlochhourn to Inverie, in all sorts of weather. I finally succeeded in completing it but only by taking 2 cars (1 at each end), catching the boat from Mallaig to Inverie and staying overnight in the bunkhouse there before walking to Kinlochhourn the next day. Have you taken it on yet? Let me know if you need more info.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:47:16 pm »

We tried to sleep in Sourlie's Bothy but the mice drove us out
Great to have your input, DezHowl, but is this for real? Are these are killer mice on steroids or timid hikers? Cheesy

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Mason
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:12 am »

Thank you Buggiba and Jacquetta!

I have not been on this site for a very long time. I did walk from The Eagle Barge Inn along the Great Glen Way to Inverie in summer 2012. It was in every essence spectacular and i really enjoyed walking along Loch Garry and Loch Quoich. This is UK longest dead end road but i liked picking chantarelles along the way and it was desolate, lonely and just what i like when walking. The scenic view from the last bride along Loch Quoich was amazing as the last walk down to Kinlochhourn Farm where i had some food. I walked to Barrisdale and slept in the bothy. Me and another walker made food, boiled water that we cooled down in the burn outside... Woke up around 5 and started walking up the mountains and saw loads and loads of red deer. Had about a dozen bites from horseflies, that got to my mood, but as i reached the peak, it had started raining vertical nails, and with that wind on the top, all horseflies on Knoydart must have died instantly. Then it was a nice and smooth walk down to Inverie and it was stunning to see and walk along the Loch an Dubh Lochain. Alone in the world. This is not my picture but this is part of the reward:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tventano/7567813152/#

I have not yet decided where to walk this summer, but it might be WHW again with my gf.

Regards;

Mason
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:10:52 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:54:35 pm »

Hi Mason, I'm glad you enjoyed Knoydart. The bothy was a bit basic but the 'Stables' where I stayed was a bit more upmarket Wink.
We walked it the opposite way to you, from Inverie to Kinlochhourn and it rained the whole way Angry. On arrival at Kinlochhourn we then had a 100-mile drive to Mallaig to collect the other car. Certainly a lonely a desolate stroll to take on on your own. Well done.
Mason
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:05:26 pm »

Now on VisitScotland if you want to have a look.

http://www.visitscotland.com/blog/scotland/the-wilderness-episodes/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:29:38 pm by Jacquetta » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: