Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 08:18:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Cleveland Way

Perfect companion: our new waterproof guidebook published in May 2012
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Cleveland Way, Helmsley to Filey
| | |-+  Camping: how to replace the Lord Stones?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Camping: how to replace the Lord Stones?  (Read 20231 times)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:08:40 am »

Hi to all you intrepid walkers out there.
This is a warning to all walkers who intend to hike the Cleveland Way this year. If you are intending on eating at, or relying on or camping at, the Lord Stones Cafe, then you may have to make alternative arrangements. It seems that Lord Stones Cafe – for reasons not specified on their website – has ceased trading and closed down on a permanent basis! Can anyone enlighten me further? Can anyone suggest an alternative place for me to camp, at or not too far away from this part of the route?

Jack Huh
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »

This is a real bombshell, Jack. I recall the Lord Stones fondly as a great pit stop on the Coast to Coast and a place of tremendous character and history. I was delighted with their homemade food and real ale, and it's places like this that can make your day. We were expecting it to reopen this Easter and currently we mention it in our guidebooks, so I'm really sorry to hear it's closing. Here's hoping some enterprising person takes it over!

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
gordonsimm

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:29 am »

Hello Jack
That's disappointing to hear about Lord Stones. I knew it was closed last winter but at the end of March (when the RR guidebook was being finalised) we were told it was due to open again after refurbishment in time for Easter, and a notice on the gate confirmed this up to my last visit 31/3/12. It's only 20 miles from my home, so I'll try and find out what's happening and let you know.

An alternative would be to camp at Beak Hills which is about 1/2 mile off-route. It's only about a mile further-on. There's a fingerpost sign from the path so you can't miss it.  That's assuming you are walking towards Clay Bank, in the "normal" direction Helmsley to Filey? Basic facilities only I think at Beak Hills.
Regards, Gordon
gordonsimm

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:57:29 am »

Hi Jack
Here's a photo of the camping field at Beak Hills:
Gordon

* P115-0529-beakhills.jpg (97.2 KB, 600x301 - viewed 2198 times.)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »

Hi Gordon
After checking the map it seems that Beak Hills is my only other option, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, and at least it's not too far off the route. Thanks for the photo also, it's a shame about Lord Stones though, because it was like a welcoming oasis.

Jack
gordonsimm

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:08:23 am »

Hi again Jack
I went to Lord Stones yesterday 10th June to see what was happening. The place is still boarded-up which was sad to see, but a new notice has been posted on the gate which gives hope for a future re-opening, quoting rather vaguely "Autumn 2012". Let's hope so for the benefit of the future legions of C2C, CW and LWW walkers who pass this way ... All the best for your trekking. Below is a snap of the new notice.
Regards, Gordon

* LordStones.jpg (89.93 KB, 450x335 - viewed 1634 times.)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:58:54 am »

Hi Gordon
It's good to know that Lord Stones will be opening again soon, thank you for all the information.

Fair weather to you

Jack  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: