Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:41:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Cleveland Way

Perfect companion: our new waterproof guidebook published in May 2012
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Cleveland Way, Helmsley to Filey
| | |-+  Cleveland Way: planning my hike

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cleveland Way: planning my hike  (Read 5676 times)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »

I have decided to give the Dales Way a miss this year, instead I will be undertaking the Cleveland Way towards the end of June. I've got all the maps and guidebooks, and have just ordered the latest one from Rucksack Readers. Any further advice that you kind people out there can offer me will be more than welcome.

Jack
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:23:45 am »

It's a fine choice, Jack: two walks in one, with 50+ miles skirting the North York Moors National Park and a further 50+ miles of clifftop walking along a stunning stretch of heritage coastline.  Taken together, the total length is 108 miles, and there is also an option to complete the circuit with the Tabular Hills Walk which would add a further 50-odd miles.

So my first question is how long have you got, and what daily distance do you find comfortable?

And the second is accommodation: do you intend to camp, hostel or stay in soft beds?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »

Hi Jacquetta
Thank you for the reply, in answer to your questions. (1)  I can take as much time as I need. (2)  I am comfortable up to about 12 mile days, with the odd long day if needs be. (3) I intend to camp and use YHA's/Hostels. How good is the waymarking on the Cleveland Way?

Jack  Grin
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »

O lucky man, to take as long as you like! Cheesy

If you don't want a 17-mile day, I'd say 10 days is the minimum to enjoy the full 108 miles of the official Cleveland Way. The relevant Table on page 6 of our guidebook is available to view as a PDF here. You will see on the right it shows 10 days' walking of which most are 10 or 11 miles, (ranging from 8.5 to 11.5) with just one longer day at 14.5 miles. This would give you plenty of time to make the odd side-trip, enjoy the views, explore the towns and villages and see the wildlife without feeling under pressure. The altitude profile on page 7 reminds you that the inland section features a good deal of undulation (especially from Osmotherly to Kildale) and even the coastal section has some surprisingly strenuous bits with many descents from clifftop to sea level and back up again.

The waymarking is IMO excellent: there was just one sign bearing a misleading distance, which we reported to the Trail Manager Malcolm Hodgso.  He immediately said he would get it amended. As on any long-distance trail, it's possible to get disoriented in a larger places, for example Scarborough, en route to your accommodation, but the helpful Tourist Info Centre gives out free maps. From Saltburn to Filey, if you keep the sea on your left you won't go far wrong. Enjoy!

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:24:45 am »

Hi Jacquetta
Thank you for all the excellent advice, I look forward to reading the guidebook!

Jack  Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: