Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:08:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Rob Roy Way

Perfect companion: 3rd ed (2012) of our popular waterproof guidebook for this newly recognised Scotland's Great Trail
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Rob Roy Way, from Drymen to Pitlochry, Scotland
| | |-+  Need feedback on Rob Roy Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need feedback on Rob Roy Way  (Read 6211 times)
drlogs

Email
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:25 pm »

Looking at walking the RRW in late September and would like feedback on the usual topics ... good places to stay and places to avoid; any part of the route that is not well marked (understand it is fully waymarked now?); is the new guidebook good enough for route navigation or will OS maps be needed; whom do you recommend for baggage transfer?  We have walked the Coast to Coast, WHW and Offa's Dyke, and are wondering how this walk will compare for scenery, etc
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:13:55 am »

Late September could be a good time to go, still 12 hours of daylight and the midges should mostly have died down. The waymarking was scheduled for March/April and I believe it has been done but without rewalking the route I can't actually confirm what is on the ground. Would be most grateful if anybody who is out there can tell us?

As author of the guidebook, it isn't for me to say how good its directions are Embarrassed, but I can confirm rewalking every inch of the way last autumn (September to November 2011) with proofs in hand, so as to update the route description wherever needed. I also took some fresh photographs, including one of Ben Lui which I discovered to my surprise can be seen from the Way just above Killin, although it's 25 miles (40 km) away. I had never realised that before!

On the subject of maps, I have a confession: my prediction (on page 62) that the forthcoming Footprint map would already have been published in 2012 was optimistic. Sad Footprint has committed itself to the project and work has begun, but publication could slip to 2013. I suggest you check with them in July/August (tel 01786 479866) because at under £6 it will be MUCH cheaper than buying four Explorers, as well as more convenient in use. I hesitate to say "you don't need a map anyway" because some walkers won't venture out without largescale mapping, but I can say that over the last 10 years the majority of our readers have found the combination of detailed route description and smallscale map flap in our book sufficient, and that is before there was any waymarking at all. I certainly suggest that you postpone that decision until you find out whether the Footprint map is an option.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: