Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:40:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Great Glen Way

Perfect companion: 5th edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, extended and revised in 2014/16 to cover the High Route and other updates
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Great Glen Way, Fort William to Inverness, Scotland
| | |-+  Good Beer Guide to the Great Glen Way.

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good Beer Guide to the Great Glen Way.  (Read 6776 times)
Buggiba

« on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »

My plans for the Great Glen Way in 2012 are now well advanced, the date being set for April 8th to 13th. There are potentially 5 of us taking part and I have been quoted £50 a head for a baggage-carrying service, which seems very reasonable.

Owing to the number of hits that my article on Good Beer Guide pubs on the West Highland Way has received, I intend doing something similar for the GGW. At least it gives you something to look forward to when your legs are tired and the rain is running down your neck!! Angry Angry
Buggiba

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:55:29 am »

Well folks here it is, as promised. The pubs and hostelries we visited, and the offerings they had, during our Great Glen Way trek from Easter Monday, 09/04/2012 to Saturday 14/04/2012.
3 of us left from Birmingham early on Easter Monday and enjoyed a trouble-free trip to the Scottish Highlands. Getting close to Fort William we took a slight diversion to the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe. They had a range of 8 traditional ales on handpull, including Fraoch Heather Ale and An Teallach Crofters Pale Ale. Onward then to the Ben Nevis Inn, where we were spending 2 nights. Here we were presented with Isle of Skye Young Pretender, Isle of Skye Red Cuillin and, again, An Teallach Crofters Pale Ale. For cider lovers they had the relatively new, and non-traditional, Magners Golden Draught. Great thirst-quencher. Grin
On Wednesday 11 April 2012 we walked the 24 miles from Fort William to South Laggan. One mile before reaching our destination we came to the Eagle Barge Inn at Laggan Locks. Do not pass this by!! We didn't, as it was hammering down with rain. A fully working barge that doubles as a pub and restaurant. Magnificent. 5 handpulls offered a traditional Westons Cider, Orkney Dark Island, Atlas 3 Sisters, River Leven IPA and River Leven Blonde. That last mile seemed a breeze after this. 2 of us later visited the bar at the nearby Great Glen Water Park. Disappointing and sparse. Sad
On Thursday 12/04 we walked another 24 miles to the youth hostel at Alltsigh. The pubs at Fort Augustus were still closed when we arrived, and departed, and the Glenmoriston Arms Hotel wouldn't let us in with muddy boots, so I bought 2 bottles of traditional beer from the Post Office and shop nearby. I chose Orkney Dark Island and Wychwood Hobgoblin. Lovely when enjoyed in the silence next to Loch Ness. Roll Eyes
Friday the 13th saw us stroll a 'mere' 10 miles to Drumnadrochit. The Loch Ness Backpackers comes very well appointed. It has its own bar, boasting 5 trad ales in bottle and Magners Cider again. We hobbled around to the Benleva Hotel and found they had 7 handpulled beers, including their own Dark Ness and Isle of Skye Hebridean Gold. Smiley
Sadly, on Saturday, having finished the walk into Inverness, we only had 30 minutes to catch our bus back to Fort William. No opportunity for a swift pint but I did pop in to the Grog and Gruel in Fort William later that evening. They had a selection of 5 beers: Williams Red, Dragonhead Stout, River Leven Blonde, Brewhouse Special and An Teallach.
All in all not a bad week for a Real Ale lover!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:01:51 pm by Buggiba » Logged
Mason
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:46:45 am »

It is really nice to read your comments Buggiba! Specially knowing exactly what you are talking about Smiley Me and my girlfriend arrived in Laggan on day 2 after that nasty detour and a day of hail, snow and rain. Exhausted, wet, hungry and a bit discouraged. I told Jen that all i needed was a warm room, an open fire, a pint and some hot food, and around the corner was Eagle Barge Inn with all those facilities. Paul and William entertaining the few of us that evening with mindreading and magic tricks. They adviced us a walkers place to pitch the tent, and helped us in a way i was not allowed to say, but something that every walker enjoys! I had some really good rejuvenation there. This place is actually ON the Great Glen Way, so nobody can miss it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: