Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:33:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Dales Way

Perfect companion: our popular waterproof guidebook published in 2011
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Dales Way, Ilkley to Bowness-on-Windermere
| | |-+  Navigation and camping on the Dales Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Navigation and camping on the Dales Way  (Read 12216 times)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:12:04 pm »

Has anybody out there walked the Dales Way, is the navigation hard or easy, are there plenty of waymarkers? Also I will be camping, so are there basic campsites available? Any info gratefully received.
Stottie
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:40:40 pm »

Hi Jack

Navigation is pretty easy on the Dales Way.  You cross the only significant areas of rough moorland on well-defined tracks.  Most of the walk involves field paths and pleasant lanes, and as long distance paths go it's not too strenuous.

There are a lot of Dales Way signs, but not at every junction of paths: more often than not, you'll need to check the written instructions in a guidebook or look at a map (the Harvey map is good value for money).  Often you'll then find you're following signs for Public Footpath or Bridleway rather than seeing any mention of the Dales Way itself.

There are enough campsites, or farms where you can ask permission to camp.  I'd say the best campsite facilities close to the Way are at Appletreewick, Kettlewell and Dent.  Elsewhere you're likely to camp in much more basic style, but also cheaper.  At the risk of "teaching grandmother to suck eggs" I'll just say that shops/pubs/cafes are few and far between on the stretch from Kettlewell to Dent and also from Sedbergh to Burneside.

Hope this helps
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

Thank you for all the information, it has been a great help to me.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:31 am »

Welcome to the forums, Jack. Stottie is right about the signage, and too modest to mention that he wrote the guidebook that we publish!

If you want to see expamples of the wide range of waymarkers, the relevant page is available on our website here: simply download the Extract from planning and scroll down to see a collage of waymarker discs, fingerposts and (my favourite!) paint on a milk churn.

You can also do a virtual walk through the entire route using our online route map so there will be no surprises: in satellite mode you can zoom to an incredible level of detail.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: