Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 07:25:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Great Glen Way

Perfect companion: 5th edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, extended and revised in 2014/16 to cover the High Route and other updates
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Great Glen Way, Fort William to Inverness, Scotland
| | |-+  Completing the Great Glen Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Completing the Great Glen Way  (Read 9465 times)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:06:34 pm »

This is just to let you all know, that I completed the Great Glen Way on the 2nd August 2011, having taken 6 days. I would like to thank everybody at Rucksack Readers for all their help and advice. I am now planning to walk the Dales Way next year, as my next venture, I hope that will be as successful and as much fun!
Buggiba

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »

What was it like, Jack, the terrain and the weather? Where did you stay or did you camp? I am hoping to do it next year. Any information would be useful Smiley
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:56 pm »

Hi Buggiba
The first three days are easy going, the terrain being mostly flat, but the scenery more than makes up for it. Loch Oich and Loch Lochy are spectacular. The last three days are hilly, but the views more than make up for the effort. The last day is a long one –almost 20 miles – however; the sense of achievement you get upon reaching Inverness Castle just cannot be described.

I was very lucky with the weather, I had only one half day of rain and a couple of damp and misty ones. As for maps they are not needed the waymarking is excellent, making it almost impossible to get lost, but I did take with me the Harvey map which is full of useful information. I combined camping and SYHA hostels. You can camp by the canal side at Gairlochy and Laggan, and also at Kytra Lock.

On two occasions I chose to stay at hostels my first being "The Great Glen Hostel" a welcoming and well run independent hostel at Laggan, and my second being the highly recommended SYHA Loch Ness, Altsigh. As for professional campsites you are more than well served, there being an excellent one at Glen Nevis just on the outskirts of Fort William, another good one at Fort Augustus and a basic one at a riding centre on the outskirts of Drumnadrochit, and yet again another excellent one almost at the finishing point at Inverness.

I do hope you find this info useful, have a good trip along the GGW, I know I did, and will be returning to do it again.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:07:17 pm by Jack » Logged
Kiarna Boyd

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:05:56 pm »

Hello! My first post so I hope I am following forum etiquette correctly.

I completed the GGW this April (2011) in 4 days from Fort Williams to Inverness. I had planned on 5 days but a hot spot on Monday turned into a full inch across blister by Tuesday. I decided to power through it (duct tape and blister bandages) and then have more time to rest at Inverness before meeting up with my friends in Edinburgh for the Beltane Fire Festival.

I walked solo with a 30 lb pack (including water) and the longest day was from Fort Augustus to Drum. There was a diversion before Invermoriston from fallen trees so I suspect with that and a bit of side exploration I ended up at 77 miles. The view of Loch Ness from the side trail seat right after Invermoriston was spectacular. Really, the whole Way was gorgeous even if the forest management tree cutting areas were unnerving at times.

The GGW guidebook was invaluable for helping me plan the trip and then make decisions while on the route. I camped one night in a wilderness site and had reservations at the Inch and dropped in at the Loch Ness Inn to tend my mammoth blister.

While my Rucksack Reader guidebook  was amazing, I had removed many pages of information before the trip to lighten the load (I've sipped the kool aid of ultra light, though only manage 'light' hiking). I found my habit of stashing my map between my back and my pack dissolved the paper of some of the informational pages but the route map held up completely.

Getting through the start at Fort William was slightly confusing but I had no issues after that. I'm looking forward to the Rob Roy Way next April, though I will be taking my time and not trying to adhere to a schedule.

Thank you so much for making these lovely useful guidebooks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: