Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 08:15:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Seeking replacement walking partners in late May

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Seeking replacement walking partners in late May  (Read 7277 times)
steve-o
Energetic Member

« on: April 27, 2011, 11:06:35 am »

For personal and utterly unexpected reasons I have just lost my walking parters for the the WHW.

Due to my work and family commitments along with my commitment to the Christies Charity I will still be walking the WHW starting May 27th.

Is anyone else walking on these dates that I could walk with? I'm now walking South to North, expecting to start out from Milngavie on Friday and complete on the following Friday.

Buggiba

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:51:38 pm »

Hi Steve-o, Sorry to hear about your lost comrades, it does rather put a hole in your plans, doesn't it? As you are doubtless aware by now 3 of us are travelling up to Glasgow on Thursday 12/05/11 and setting off from Milngavie the following day. We intend finishing on Thursday 19th May before setting off homeward. All of our accommodation is booked and paid for. If you can change your dates you are welcome to accompany us.
steve-o
Energetic Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:31 pm »

Cheers matey, that might just be a plan.  We are tightly squeezed at work for time off.  I've not yet booked my transport to Glasgow as I was anticipating travelling via coach as its a damn site cheaper than train...

That would also mean I'd need to step up my training ssignificantly as well.  I'll let you know on Tuesday morning if that's OK?
Buggiba

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »

That's fine. I am driving to Milngavie and have booked a Citylink bus back from Fort William on the Thursday. £5 a head in advance!! Leaves at 7pm. Just be a short train ride from Glasgow Queen St to pick up the car for the trip back.
steve-o
Energetic Member

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:57 am »

I've just been OK-ed the time off ... panic has now set in... it's next week now, not the end of the month!

Buggiba can you please contact me offline and we'll get things sorted. I'll book the transport today from Stoke to Glasgow return.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:49:34 pm by steve-o » Logged
steve-o
Energetic Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:12 am »

My WHW walk has come to an abrupt end this weekend. I'd teamed up with Eddie, rearranged my travel plan to fit him with him and his team and did some final training on Sunday when it all went wrong.

After about 10 miles my right foot flared up like a balloon. I took my boots off and it became very apparent that even the simple act of putting it back on was not going to be easy.  I took yesterday off work as I was unable to walk on it and have been to the vets this morning.  Some kind of infection...  They have strongly recommended I do not walk on it for a while and no exercise on it until the swelling and infection has gone.

I'm utterly gutted.

Eddie had been incredibly kind in allowing me to join in with his team and I was ready for it, as well as looking forward to the walk and meeting new friends.  I'd also walked the route on Google earth many times and was full of excitement.

I've just phoned around and cancelled all my accommodation and travel which has really disappointed me as it confirms the end of the walk for me for a while.

That said .. I still have the commitment to Christies to ensure any money raised or pledged will go into the appeal and I know have to wait until I will be able to get time off work again before all this can go ahead. Until then I'll sit here in the sidelines and watch all your achievements.

Good luck with the walk, guys.  On the flip side I get to watch my team beat Man City in the FA cup with weekend   Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:08:53 am by steve-o » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:27 pm »

Yes, Steve-o, I was wondering about that. Stoke in the FA Cup final for the first time in their history or a gentle amble up Ben Lomond. Decisions, decisions Undecided Never mind there is always next year! Might have a look at the Great Glen Way or the Dales Way for 2012. Even more decisions Undecided Keep in touch.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: