Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:29:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Help sought by novice walker September 2011

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help sought by novice walker September 2011  (Read 7465 times)
mrmoog

Email
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »

Hi guys,
First off: nice forum think i will get some hints and tips here no probs!

I am wanting to do the WHW for Strathcarron Hospice next year.  I have done a few things for them but for me this would be the best achievement for me and them. I am a novice and have not done any walking since my teens and I'm 32 now.  I'm looking for as much help with how to prepare and what to take and also accommodation.  I will be on a shoestring budget so luxury is off. I have a year to get all my gear needed and broken in etc, so pls Rucksack Readers lend a newbie a hand........ Cheesy
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:23:53 pm »

Hi there and welcome

We like to help novices, and it's not that long since I did my first WHW anyway, so here goes.  Since it's for Strathcarron Hospice, we are pleased to offer you a free book on condition only that you post again on this forum to let us know how you get on.  Please note, this is a one-off offer, not free books for all who post on our forums!

Just send a direct email to info@rucsacs.com with date of your sponsored walk and full personal details. 
Bye now
Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:58 am »

I would take up Jacquetta's offer re the Rucksack guidebook. It offers excellent advice on preparation etc as well as a detailed description of the walk.. One point I would emphasise however is to try to get yourself hill walking fit. It is one thing walking 16 miles on relatively flat and even ground and another walking on the sections of the WHW where you are going up and down hills on sometimes rough paths. I would advise you to get some tough up and down  hill walking under your belt. Walking down steep slopes can often be as tough on the legs as going up. In my opinion at least one walking pole is well worth the investment.The walk will be strenuous at times and you want to enjoy it as much as possible. If you don't have a reasonable level of hill walking fitness then it could become less enjoyable. It is like everything else in life - you only get out of it what you put in.
Good luck.
Buggiba

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »

Hi Mr Moog,
Are you walking the 'normal' south to north or 'back to front'? Do you intend camping, using bothies or bunkhouses? The prime requisite is to book your accommodation early, things fill up very quickly. As well as the Rucksack Reader, be sure to get the Footprint Map. I can give you more information once these queries are answered.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:47:10 am by Buggiba » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: