Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 09:24:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Explore the Inca Trail

Perfect companion: 3rd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, endorsed by John Hemming
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru
| | |-+  Is the Inca Trail suitable for a 5-year old?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is the Inca Trail suitable for a 5-year old?  (Read 15687 times)
krissus

Email
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:34:35 pm »

Hello all

I'm going to Cusco in a few months and I'm concerned about the Inca Trail, and how demanding could it be. I will be traveling with a 5 years old kid and I'm not sure if I should do it, my travel agency said it was okay for him to go but there's something that doesn't feel right. Could someone please advise me?
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:37:31 am »

Hi there

This sounds like a wind-up Shocked  The Inca Trail is a strenuous hike for adults, with huge payoffs for adults in respect of its great scenery, wildlife such as hummingbirds and butterflies, and fascinating Inca architecture culminating in Machu Picchu.  I don't deny that a motivated and fit 5-year old could probably manage the physical effort, but I would be very concerned about the risk of altitude illness.  Children are MUCH more susceptible to this than adults, and anyway not good at communicating their exact symptoms.  And a sick child in a remote part of Peru is an avoidable emergency.

But I'd be very worried about any travel agency who didn't query the plan to take such a young child on such a long trek – among other reasons because I'd expect the average 5-year old to be bored stiff during day-on-day hiking.  And a bored child is a disruptive child! Roll Eyes

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Loon Dod
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:35:46 pm »

It has to be a wind up.  If not, you already know the answer or you would not be asking the question.

Sometimes things come out badly on forums and questions and or answers come out wrong, so just so you understand quite clearly here is my answer.

DON'T BE STUPID: no way should you take a 5 year old.
Paul Jones

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »

Paul Jones - Operations Director
Totally Peru

Under NO circumstances would we recommend the Inka Trail for a 5 year old child. The Inca Trail is a fairly strenous hike for adults and is not recomended for young children. In fact, we don't recommend the hike for anybody under the age of 15. We are fully aware of the risk of altutude sickness, and the dangers of high passes and pathways close to the edge.  Although all our professional hiking guides are trained in on the scene medical assistance, we know that hospitals are a very long way away.

As a Peruvian based travel agent, we promote safe and good quailty package tours to Peru. Therefore, I am a little confussed as to why this post has been written.

We NEVER recommended a 5 year old child to hike the Inca Trail.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: