Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 11:29:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Where to find food and water

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where to find food and water  (Read 7375 times)
Mason
Energetic Member

Email
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:45:41 pm »

Milngavie - Drymen 19 km

Water and food at Dumgoyne "Beech Tree Inn" (roughly after 11 km) and in central Drymen.

Drymen - Balmaha 11 km

Large parts through Garadhban Forest. Stack up in Drymen. Food and water available in the market square in central Drymen. No food or water until Balmaha, unless you hunt and use water purification pills.

Balmaha - Rowardennan 12 km

Milarrochy camping (food and water) Cashel Caravan and camping site (food and water) is last chance before Rowardennan Hotel.

Rowardennan - Crianlarich 33 km (the Way doesn't actually pass through Crianlarich)

Stack up at Rowardennan. Next place for food and water is Inversnaid Hotel (Free WiFi), and after that Inverarnan Camping. At Inverarnan camping, i would get food and water, and head for next natural stop Auchtertyre Farm / Strathfillan Wigwams (free WiFi).

Crianlarich - Tyndrum 10.5 km

If you dont want to leave the WHW for a short stop in Crianlarich, stack up in Inverarnan and head for Strathfillan Wigwams (free WiFi). Food and drink and a small shop. Loads of equipment and food and drink in Tyndrum.

Tyndrum - Glencoe 30 km

After Tyndrum, next refuel depot is at Bridge of Orchy (Welcome to Midgeland!). Not sure about food / shops there though, feel free to add comments. After that, it should be Inveroran Hotel, and then cross the mountains to Ski center (it says "Cold Beer" on a sign you cant miss) or further down Kings House Hotel.

Glencoe - Kinlochleven 14.5 km

As far as i can remember, the last food / drink place before Kinlochleven, is Kings House Hotel. Food is not all that essential as i bunked up a bit in Tyndrum, but water needs to be refilled here. In Kinlochleven is a camping, a very excellent B&B, and a shop that opens at 7 or 8 in the morning. I think 7. Thats the last place to bunk up.

Kinlochleven - Fort William 23 km

Nothing. Get it all in Kinlochleven before departure.

Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:18:43 pm »

Thanks, Mason, for that list.  It's important to add that walkers can expect to get drinking water free of charge in a pub, cafe or campsite only if they are buying something at the time.  A polite, reasonable approach will often get your water bottle filled with lovely cool water, but these places have to make a living somehow, so don't ask unless you are buying stuff.

The very, very low-cost alternative is to gather your own water and use purification tablets.  This is much kinder to the environment than buying water in plastic bottles and personally I carry tablets so I need never go thirsty.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Buggiba

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:15:46 pm »

Did the stretch from Tyndrum to Fort William in October 2008, over 3 days. On the last day, from Kinlochleven to Fort William, it drizzled all day. This resulted in some spectacular waterfalls heading towards Glen Nevis. Filled a bottle from one of these. The best water I've ever tasted, no purification tablets or anything. Absolutely magnificent. Still ice-cold 2 hours later!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: