Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 03:58:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Speyside Way

Perfect companion: 2nd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, updated in 2016
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Speyside Way, Buckie to Aviemore, Scotland
| | |-+  Route changes 2010 and new edition guidebook

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Route changes 2010 and new edition guidebook  (Read 6126 times)
JennieL
Energetic Member

« on: August 16, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »

Hi

I've heard there's been some route changes to the Speyside Way but I don't know where or what they are.  Will they be covered by your new edition guidebook?

And can I find out what the changes are meantime?  Hope so! Smiley or do I have to wait until the book is out?? Sad
Thanks
Jennie
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:20 pm »

Great to hear from you again, Jennie, and a good question!  The main route changes are:
a) terminus is now in central Buckie instead of at Buckpool Harbour, so the Way has just got longer (by about 850 m)
b) the diversion in Fochabers has become permanent because of flooding problems.

In relation to (a) we have prepared an overlay on Google maps that shows the new start point and links it to the former start: see below  For (b) all you need to do is turn left as waymarked after the school: the relevant part of page 37 now reads:
Leave Fochabers south-west along Charlotte Street and West Street. Turn left just after Milne’s High School, then, at the end of the lane, turn right along Ordiquish Road.

There is no further news on the extension to Newtonmore and progress is unlikely any time soon.  A Path Order has been served to try to overrule the Kinrara Estate objection and an enquiry has been triggered.  The Cairngorm National Park Authority is now dealing with it.

And yes, all this and more is covered in our new version of the guidebook which has just gone to press and should be with us by early September.  It's available now to pre-order here

We have completely redrawn the plan of Grantown in response to feedback from walkers, and this can been viewed through out facility to Look inside the book.  Choose the Contents+ sample to see a photo of the new terminus and choose 3.3+3.4 to see the whole route description form Craigellachie to Grantown-on-Spey, including the improved plans of Ballindalloch and Grantown.

* Buckie2Buckpool.png (106.23 KB, 1076x559 - viewed 664 times.)

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: