Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:56:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Water supply on the way?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Water supply on the way?  (Read 4724 times)
Manuel

« on: April 11, 2010, 07:43:25 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to walk the West Highland Way at the end of May. I intend to use a tent where possible and want to go for the 8 day-option.
My biggest concern is the supply of drinking water: Do you recommend to use purification tablets or even a filter? Or will I always walk through a village in time to stock up on drinking water? Of course, I will spent the night at commercial campsite where possible, but what about the free campsites? Is there any opportunity to find water?

Thanks for your advice,

Manuel
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:00:31 pm »

Hey Manuel

Welcome to the forum.  Eight days is a good choice, will give you plenty of time to enjoy the Way and since you'll be carrying heavy loads, it's great not to rush.

There are a lot of villages on the Way but normal courtesy is to buy something before expecting a fill-up of drinking water for free.  Personally I'd carry iodine tablets "just in case": they weigh almost nothing, last for ever, and give you a big safety margin.  Regardles sof what any campsite provides, in hot weather and with heavy loads, you don't necessarily want to carry several litres (i.e. several kg) of water for the whole day, so why not have a fallback?  I believe that water filter design has improved, but be aware of animals eating, reproducing and defecating upstream of wherever you collect water and consider the advantages of purification!

Good luck and please let us know how you get on,
Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: