Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:08:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Cateran Trail

Perfect companion: our thoroughly revised rainproof guidebook with builtin Footprint mapping
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Cateran Trail, Perthshire
| | |-+  Waymarkers above Old Spittal Farm

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Waymarkers above Old Spittal Farm  (Read 8072 times)
karinsmiles

« on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:09 pm »

Where the path uphill meets the deer fence just above Old Spittal Farm, the waymarker is on the uphill side of the gate, so I went through the gate and then tracked to the right along the deer fence, following the arrow. The path got rougher and more indistinct and then I realised there was a waymarker on the other side of the fence. I  scaled the deer fence to get back on the path, but I'm wondering where I went wrong.

Does anyone know whether I should have stayed below the deer fence all the way, ignoring the fact that the waymarker was beyond the gate,  or did I miss a gate that took the path back below the fence at some point?

I ran the sections from Kirkton of Glenisla to Alyth, Bridge of Cally to Kirkmichael and Kirkmichael to Glenisla over the weekend and  though I had to consult the map or check the Rucksack Reader notes a few times this is the only place I went wrong. I had company over this section so I think I might have been less vigilant about checking for markers, but I know I'm not the only person to have gone wrong here; there were bootprints along the 'wrong' path and the organiser of this year's Cateran Trail Race describes making the same mistake (which unfortunately didn't help me since I just repeated it  Embarrassed ).
Andy

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:28 am »

The Trail travels past the cottage near the Tomb through a gate on a deer fence turning right across a bridge. There is another gate on a deer fence on the other side of the burn. Go through this and follow the waymarkers to the Kerrow then onto Runavey. I can send you a map if you drop me an email ajbarrie@pkct.org   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: