Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 10:07:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Coast to Coast

Perfect companion: our waterproof guidebook with large-scale Footprint mapping
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Coast to Coast (St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay)
| | |-+  Waymarking on the Coast to Coast?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Waymarking on the Coast to Coast?  (Read 15676 times)
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:40:28 am »

Nice map work Jacquetta.
My friend and I are walking this route in June.  Can anyone please advise how well (or not) this route is signposted? If it is signposted, is it route-specific signposting ie, Coast to Coast, as you get on other long distance walks?
sandrahal
Energetic Member

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »

Hello there
The answer to your question is "yes and no"!  Starting from St Bees, the signposting is generally by destination, sometimes with "C2C" as well.  C2C might as well be on the moon through Lake District NP, but the destination signposting is good, so you need to know where you're going in the fairly immediate vicinity. 

At Burnside, beside Haweswater, a C2C sign appears (well, it did last June), and from there onwards, signposting is generally good, apart from the stretch between Richmond and Ingleby Cross, following the intricate route around field edges and the like, though most changes of direction are indicated in one way or another.  In addition, you may need to be super-vigilant in places between Orton and Kirkby Stephen, especially in poor visibility.

The C2C and the Cleveland Way march side by side from near Ingleby Cross to near the Lion Inn, and the CW, being a National Trail, is very well waymarked with the acorn logo.  The seasonal routes just beyond Nine Standards should be clearly marked by the time you are walking, although they were patchy last summer.

This subject is covered in some detail in our guidebook, which includes a selection of photos as examples of what the various signs look like.

I hope this run-down is helpful.  Enjoy your walk!
Best wishes
Sandra Bardwell
gordonsimm

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:55:31 pm »

Nice map work Jacquetta.
My friend and I are walking this route in June.  Can anyone please advise how well (or not) this route is signposted? If it is signposted, is it route-specific signposting ie, Coast to Coast, as you get on other long distance walks?
Hello Brian, I did the whole route solo at the end of August 2006 so cannot comment on the signposting for most of the route today. However I can reassure you that the mapping is good, and that within the first day you will be enjoying the company of others especially if you follow the popular west-to-east direction. The camaraderie on this walk is like no other I have experienced! So there are always other groups and individuals to compare notes with – and this is Britain's most popular long-distance walk. I think sandrahal is correct with her summary.

I know specifically that the section between Bolton-on-Swale to Danby Wiske had few signs in Autumn 2009 but by following the maps you will get through the 5 miles accurately. Generally speaking the C2C is not waymarked as well as the National Trails, but don't be put off - the adventure is all the more because of it! I know you will enjoy walking "in the footsteps" of Alfred Wainwright.
My best wishes, Gordon Simm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: