Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:01:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Great Glen Way

Perfect companion: 5th edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, extended and revised in 2014/16 to cover the High Route and other updates
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Great Glen Way, Fort William to Inverness, Scotland
| | |-+  Camp sites along the Great Glen Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Camp sites along the Great Glen Way  (Read 16527 times)
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:15:07 am »

Hi there
I will be walking the Great Glen Way in June, and intend camping. Could anybody advise me of the location of any convenient campsites along the route.
Thanks  a lot

Jack
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:23:58 am by Jack » Logged
sandrahal
Energetic Member

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »

Hello Jack
Starting from the Fort William end:
. near Fort W - large site in Glen Nevis, accessible either on foot or by bus from the town
. British Waterways permits camping beside the canal lock at Gairlochy - no facilities, just space for a few tents
. Similarly, beside Kytra Lock, between Loch Oich and Fort Augustus
. There's a camping ground in Fort Augustus, on the south side of the A82 trunk road, no more than 10 minutes walk from the road bridge over the canal
. Next:  Borlum camping ground on the outskirts of Drumnadrochit:  when you reach the A82, cross to the roadside footpath and follow it for a few hundred metres - Borlum is clearly signposted, across the road on the right.
.  There should be a campsite on Abriachan Plateau, roughly midway between Drumnadrochit and Inverness
.  And lastly:  Bught camping ground on the southern edge of Inverness;  the GGW passes close by from where you cross the A82 at the Tomnahurich canal bridge - turn left (the GGW continues straight on, as you'll see from your map).

All this information is included in the latest edition of our guide to the GGW, with links to the various contacts.

Hope you have a great walk.

Best wishes
Sandra
Jack
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:50 pm »

Hi Sandra

Thank you for all the information, it will help me a lot. I'm certainly looking forward to being in Scotland again. I will let the forum know how I go on.

Thank you once again.

Jack
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: