Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:36:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Dingle Way

Perfect companion: fully updated second edition of our popular waterproof guidebook with dropdown map
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Dingle Way, south-west Ireland
| | |-+  Dingle Way in winter

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dingle Way in winter  (Read 9152 times)
Valerie

Email
« on: December 18, 2009, 12:26:50 pm »

Hello,

I'm planning on walking the Dingle Way in winter, during the Christmas holidays with backpack and tent. I've walked the Dingle Way before, but always in summer. Any tips for me to survive Smiley?

Kind regards

Valerie
EoinR

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:56:15 pm »

Hi Valerie,

Do you intend to camp wild or use official sites along the trail?

You should take into account the poor weather conditions that we've had here in Ireland in the past month or two. We've had severe rainfall which is currently been followed up by snow which is taking hold in the west of the country. The trail will either be heavily coated in snow or if this melts by the time you get to Kerry, it will be extremely water-logged.

First and foremost for advice is to make sure somebody is walking with you and somebody else knows where you are on each of the days and you've reached your end point on schedule.

Obviously, bring plenty of warm clothes and sleeping gear. Make sure your bag has is properly waterproofed and you've got a good ground sheet for your tent. Night temperatures here are dropping to about -5 Celsius at the moment. Make sure you are equipped for this.

If you intend to tackle the traverse over the shoulder of Mount Brandon, make sure you have walking poles as the ground will be treacherous on the way down. It is also essential to have good navigational skills to get over here.

Finally, make sure you have enough money in reserve in case you reallly need to abandon camping and check in at a hostel or B&B. Bring a list of contact numbers with you and ring at least 24 hours in advance as this will be a closed season for a lot of them, although they might open especially for you given enough notice.  Our Dingle Way website provides links to accommodation.

Good luck!
Eoin

Valerie

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:22:35 pm »

Hello,

I survived the walk on the Dingle Way 2 years ago. The first days it was snowing, but the last days it was sunny with a blue sky. The walks from Dingle to Dunquin en from Dunquin to An Bothar Pub were beautifull.
So, we have decided to walk the Dingle way again in winter this year. Hopefully the weather is as good and dry Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: