Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 06:37:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  Question about accommodation (5-day option)

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about accommodation (5-day option)  (Read 5745 times)
andrea

« on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »

Hi

I am looking to do the West Highland Way in June , and was wondering if anyone could help me with the best route and accommodation to use. I would like to do it in 5 days.

Any help would be great, thanks .  Smiley
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:45:04 am »

Hey Andrea
Welcome to the forum, and June is a brilliant month to go.  The weather in Scotland is always unpredictable, but for sure you'll have lots of daylight: just as well, since you'll have to average 19 miles a day Shocked

For a 5-day walk, I'd suggest overnighting at Balmaha, Inverarnan, Bridge of Orchy and Kinlochleven, which would give you days of 20, 21, 19, 21 and 14 miles respectively.

You don't say anything about your budget or experience, but if you are more specific we can try to help further.  Good luck!

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:50 am »

In case you haven't read them, Andrea, there's quite a few earlier posts about WHW accommodation that may interest you.  Suggest you read especially fortypockets post, which remind us all that it's the total experience, not the number of miles per day, that lingers in the memory.  Are you sure you can't spare six days?  If so, I'd consider starting from Drymen or Balmaha, take the pressure off and relax and enjoy yourself. Wink

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Loon Dod
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:55:09 pm »

June is to late for a pleasent WHW, you need to do it by mid-May or be prepared to be eaten alive by the midges.

Oak Tree at Balmaha has a bunk house option, Beinglass has the wigwams as does Auchtertyre, Tyndrum, By the way is good. There's a new bunk house at Bridge of Orchy old train station, Kinlochleven bunk house is good. At Fort William, Bank Street Lodge is very good.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: