Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 09:59:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Dingle Way

Perfect companion: fully updated second edition of our popular waterproof guidebook with dropdown map
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Dingle Way, south-west Ireland
| | |-+  "Wild camping" on Dingle Way

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Wild camping" on Dingle Way  (Read 15289 times)
JackE

« on: December 10, 2009, 08:19:31 am »

Is it possible discreetly to camp "wild" on the DW?   I haven't camped in Ireland for over 25 years and perhaps things have changed.

Some of my most memorable wild pitches have been on the amazing beaches/headlands of Ireland's west coast.  As far as possible, I always ask permission from the landowner and adhere to the "leave no trace" principle.
sandrahal
Energetic Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »

Hello Jack
According to the official website (www.walkireland.ie):  "For the most part, camping is only permitted in official sites.  In many cases though, local landowners don't mind people camping as long as permission is sought in advance, due care is taken and the country code is respected."

Though I haven't camped along the Way myself, I think you'd need to be fully prepared for coping with dodgy water supplies (sheep) and difficulties in finding someone to ask for permission, not to mention discreet sites.

In any event, if you're keen, why not give it a go, but be prepared to retreat to commercial campsites, where they're available.

Enjoy the walk!
Best wishes
Sandra
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: