Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 04:52:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Scotland in November

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scotland in November  (Read 7714 times)
adough14

Email
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:10:04 am »

A friend and I are trying to plan a trip to Scotland this year, but, due to schedule conflicts, won't be able to go until November.  We really wanted to do some long distance walking and were considering the Great Glen Way (staying in hostels), but we're a little concerned about the weather.  We're pretty hardy and used to hiking/camping in bad weather (but have always been very glad to return to civilization at the end of these trips!), so I think we'll be okay, but I'd like a little advice.  Would another walk be more enjoyable in November?  Would it be best to wait until next summer when we can enjoy warmer weather and a greener landscape (although I was advised on another forum that you don't need to worry about a dry season in Scotland  Smiley)?  I'd appreciate any advice!  Thanks in advance!
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:15 am »

Walking in Scotland in Nov can be excellent, often good walking weather at that time of year. Obviously you need to be prepared for the worst just in case. But if you get a soaking and are staying in a hostel or B&B, you should be able to get everything dried out. The greenery will have disappeared but will be well compensated with the autumnal colours, especially on the Great Glen Way (GGW). You are not guranteed good weather any time in our lovely country unfortunately.

The biggest challenge will be the daylight hours available. It gets dark from 4/4.30pm in November, depending on the weather.  However my friend and I walked the Borders Abbey Way (BAW) early November 2008. It is of comparable distance. We normally started walking by 9.30 am at the latest (earlier some days, depending on distance) and had no problems with daylight.

We were fortunate with the weather, with only 2 dreich/damp days (one with low mist with not good visibility) but nothing to put us off. WHW certainly has some excellent scenery and for me is more attractive than BAW. There are many alternative walks, including GGW and others featured on this website.  I hope this helps.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: