Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 09:19:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  West Highland Way in November

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: West Highland Way in November  (Read 9500 times)
northface

Email
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:01:28 pm »

Hi there.  I am looking to walk the Way in November for charity.  Would this be a good time?  I am looking for a challenge and wet weather not a issue. Looking to camp on the route and use bothies.

Any advice would be good.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:24 am »

Hello northface

November is a good time for wet weather and a bad time for daylight, so whatever else you take, carry a headtorch!  It all depends how many days you are planning to spend on the Way, but by November you can't count on more than 7 to 9 hours of daylight (just over 9 in early November, 7 and a half by month end).  If you're carrying heavy loads and trying to complete the Way in 6 days or less in wet, windy conditions, you will certainly have a challenge on your hands Roll Eyes  Good luck with it anyway.  Which charity are you fund-raising for?  Feel free to include a link.

There are bothies at Rowchoish and Doune (on the mid- and northern east shore of Loch Lomond respectively).  Plenty of campsites (both free and commercial) are listed on page 13 of our guidebook and you are also allowed to do wild camping.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
northface

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:56 pm »

Thanks for the info. I am looking to walk it at the end of October/start of November.  The charity is the company I work for: the Richmond Fellowship Scotland
to raise funds for the people we support.  I was looking for the info to help us set a date. Thanks for that, all the best, Robert
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: