Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 07:29:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Alpine Pass Route

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alpine Pass Route  (Read 10704 times)
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:11 am »

If you have not heard of the Alpine Pass Route you should look at this website.

Friends and I walked the Meirengen to Lauenen sections at the end of June. We were blessed with wall-to-wall sunshine all week except 1 day with low cloud but no rain. The Lauterbrunnen to Griesalp and Griesalp to Kandersteg sections were hard days over high passes which still had some slippery snow. I would suggest not tackling these till after early July as the guidebooks suggest. However these are wonderful walks with fantastic scenery. The wild flowers were in full bloom and were magnificent.

Public transport is fantastic. B&Bs/small hotels generally were similar to here if not better as was the "pub grub" and similar prices. Drinks were a bit more expensive. Each walk has a spattering of eating places where home made soups, drinks (the fresh milk is fantastic) etc are available. These are people who tend the cattle in the high pastures in summer where they milk the cattle and make cheese. There is even a Berghof at the top of the Hothurli pass (2780m) on the Griesalp to Kandersteg section: an absolute godsend.
I can only recommend this walk to you. You will not be disappointed. And Cicerone has an excellent guide book.
Stottie
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:45 am »

Having just walked round Mont Blanc (also late June and early July) I can understand why bsmyth is so enthusiastic about the scenery and Alpine flowers.

The TMB has a number options (variantes on the map) which add potential for the walker to explore the mountain landscape and maybe lose some of the crowds. I'll certainly be looking hard at the link to the Alpine Pass Route for next year - or some time....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: