Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 10:04:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Dingle Way

Perfect companion: fully updated second edition of our popular waterproof guidebook with dropdown map
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Dingle Way, south-west Ireland
| | |-+  Shortened Dingle walk

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shortened Dingle walk  (Read 20582 times)
pk

Email
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:57:02 am »

I'd like to do a shortened version of the Dingle Way. I'm thinking of a loop starting and ending in either Dingle Town or Cloghane. We'd walk clockwise around the end of the pennisula. My concern is, how do I get from Cloghane to Dingle Town? Is walking over Connor Pass feasible ? I cycled over it years ago but can't remember much about it. Would walking be a nightmare with traffic? Is there a trail that covers the same basic route ?

Also, the dingleway.net website lists only two or three places to sleep in each town along the way. Is that really all there is or are those just their favorites?

Will places be jammed up in mid-Sept or will I find rooms easily? Thanks !
pk
Stottie
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:25 pm »

Accommodation was sparse in some areas when I did the walk in April 08, but I never had any trouble finding a bed. I'd be inclined to take a chance on it in Sept.

I can't imagine there being much fun walking over Connor Pass (busy road). Getting away from Cloghane is difficult - one bus per week, on Friday afternoon, when I was there. That takes you back to Tralee, though you could change buses at Camp and go through to Dingle that way.

I certainly think the best part of the Dingle Way is the bit you're aiming for. My write-up is at www.stottiewalks.walkingplaces.co.uk if you want to see what I made of it.

Hope it goes well.
EoinR

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:48 pm »

Hi PK,

I'd suggest walking from Cloghane to Annascaul. There is an old mountain road that goes up alongside the Glennahoo River and crosses the shoulder of Beenoskee before descending to Lough Anascaul - it's extremely picturesque. Although I haven't done the walk, I've been in the general area and it really is outstanding. The track is highlighted on the Ordnance Survey Ireland Discovery Series sheet 70 map.

This is one of Annascaul Hillwalking Club's signed trails around their town, although I'm not sure how good the signage is.  Visit their website for more information.  The village of Annascaul is a real jewel on the Dingle Peninsula with the must-see South Pole Inn.

The walk is described in a book called 'The Small Book of Annascaul' if you can get your hands on it. From what I've read, the trail crosses a boggy area at around 350m and with the amount of wet weather we've been having this summer, I'd definitely make sure you have gaiters, good waterproof gear and boots if tackling this section.

Generally, accommodation listed on our dingleway.net website is limited to what is in the area and immediate to the trail. Dingle and Tralee would be the main exceptions, with no shortage of places to stay. Although mid-September may be quiet, there's always a risk when walking that you arrive at a small village at the end of your day and the only Bed & Breakfasts are full. If you want to 'chance it' with accommodation then I'd suggest that you have an emergency kitty for a taxi just in case.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 04:50:25 pm »

That's a really interesting idea, Eoin, though having looked at Sheet 70 I'd say the route is shown subtly, rather than highlighted!  If you try it out, PK, please be sure to tell us how it works out.  Also, if you are going to walk clockwise, I'd suggest you start/finish at Anascaul so as to leave the old mountain road to the end.  (Walking clockwise makes it easier to follow the waymarking and also the directions in our book.)  I believe the 3rd edition of sheet 70 is the current one, and you might want to laminate it yourself (much cheaper than buying the OSI laminated version) to keep the rain off. 

Anyway, good luck with your plans and do keep us posted.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
pk

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:51:23 am »

How about climbing Mt Brandon, is it something we'd do as an out-and-back, staying overnight at the same place or can we go up and over as a continuation of our walk ? Any best spot to start from ?

pk
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:27:06 am »

The Dingle Way goes over the col (650 m) between Masatiompan and Piras Mor, and if conditions (and your equipment/experience) are suitable, Brandon's summit can be climbed as a round-trip within 2.5 to 3 hours.  It's at 952m (3123 ft) and should be treated with respect, especially in mist or cloud when navigation becomes serious. It's described in some detail on page 51 of Sandra Bardwell's definitive guidebook The Dingle Way, which is well worth reading. Smiley  Although you could descend a different way from Brandon (and some hapless walkers do so by mistake) that would make a significant departure from the Dingle Way.

By the way, panel 4 of the guidebook map shows the Pilgrims' Route which follows a minor road south-west from Cloghane toward the loughs which feed the Cloghane River, below Ballysitteragh (623m).  The col north of Ballysitteragh is at 397m, and from there it's only a couple of km to various roads that lead back to Dingle Town (about 8 km). 

This looks like the basis of an even shorter version of the Dingle Way, admittedly missing Anascaul, but very feasible in 3 days: start and finish in Dingle, overnighting in Dunquin and Ballycurrane.  This could be done in a long weekend and takes in many of the most scenic parts of the Way.  I should stress that I haven't walked this, I've just been looking at the map and thinking I'd like to try it.  Can anybody who has done it comment?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
pk

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:51:08 pm »

Any suggestions on where to leave a car in Dingle Town while we walk ?

Received my book,  http://rucsacs.com/books/dgw/  very helpful :-)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: