Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:06:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Explore Mount Kilimanjaro

Perfect companion: this popular waterproof guidebook was updated in 2013
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
| | |-+  Kilimanjaro Temperature Range

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kilimanjaro Temperature Range  (Read 13546 times)
Michel Moushabeck

« on: May 15, 2008, 09:06:44 pm »

I read the 3rd edition of the Kilimanjaro Rucksack Reader and found it very informative and well-written. I highly recommend it for anyone planning to climb Kili. There is only one thing that I would have liked to have seen more coverage of in the book: the different temperature ranges at the 5 different levels on the mountain. This would help hikers get a better idea of what clothes to prepare for the different altitudes. Could anyone provide more info on temperature?
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, but you're absolutely right Embarrassed  I neglected the temperature issue and should try to make amends. 

The daily temperature range on Kili can be huge, especially on the 'lower slopes', which can be very hot around the middle of the day but deeply chilly at night – I say 'lower' because your lowest camp is likely to be at 2700-3000 m (8850-9850 ft).  Higher up, average temperatures are even colder, and winds tend to be stronger, but rain and snow is less likely.  Almost everybody finds the midnight start of the summit climb coldest of all, but should you be lucky enough to have still weather on the summit, you could even find yourself warm, at least on the way down, after the sun is up.  But nights will feel either cold or very cold at all altitudes.  Also, in wet, windy weather you could feel cold during the daytime due to wind chill, even at lower altitudes.

At all altitudes, therefore, you’ll need clothing that works well in layers, good waterproofs and a decent-sized backpack to hold all the clothing that you may need to strip off but have to carry.  Every mountain makes its own weather, and the Kili massif makes more weather than most!

How have other Kili hikers found the temperatures?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: