Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 11:45:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Speyside Way

Perfect companion: 2nd edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, updated in 2016
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Speyside Way, Buckie to Aviemore, Scotland
| | |-+  Dufftown – Keith

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dufftown – Keith  (Read 16074 times)
fredrik

« on: May 06, 2008, 09:27:05 am »

Hi,

In the summer I will be walking around Dufftown, for the most part along the Speyside Way. But I would also like to walk from Dufftown to Keith. What will be the easiest way for walking from Dufftown to Keith?

Reg
Fredrik

Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:47:19 am »

Good question, Fredrik
The answer ought to be along the trackbed of the former Great North of Scotland Railway, but from the fact that I can't see this in the ScotWays publication "Scottish Hill Tracks" I fear that the local council may have failed to defend the Right of Way.

Does anybody know of a walking route?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Jamstra

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 03:26:26 pm »

Try walking along the 'old ' trackbed, and you will be run over by a train! It's now the Keith and Dufftown Railway http://www.keith-dufftown-railway.co.uk/.

Re the original query - the short answer is that there is no easy route. The longer answer is that there is a waymarked route from Dufftown to Drummuir (the Isla Way), but the bit from Drummuir to Keith is missing - as yet only marked as 'aspirational' on the core path plan.

Hope this helps.

Speyside Way Manager
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:43:55 pm »

Oooops Embarrassed That's what comes of working from old maps!  Sorry, Fredrik, and thanks to Jamstra, who obviously has local knowledge.  And apologies to the Keith and Dufftown Railway, which is probably a great attraction for you to visit, even if you can't walk it.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
fredrik

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »

Thanks,

Is it this path you are thinking of:
http://www.morayways.org.uk/isla-way.asp

Has any of you tried to walk it?
It is waymarked from Dufftown to Drummuir, but will it be easy to find the way from Drummuir to Keith.

And do any of you know where I can get a map for this walk?

regards
Fredrik
Jamstra

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:47:29 am »

I have no reason to doubt that the website you quote provides accurate information (more information than I have !).
A map is available as a .pdf download from the same page (link is near the bottom)
I personally don't know anyone who has tried walking the section from Drummuir to Keith - but watch out for trucks on the 'on road' section!
fredrik

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:28:52 pm »

Thanks for that,
We'll try the section from Drummuir to Keith. I will give feedback about what it was like.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: