Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 05:01:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The West Highland Way

Perfect companion: 4th edition of our
popular waterproof guidebook, updated 2015
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  West Highland Way, from near Glasgow to Fort William, Scotland
| | |-+  How late to start?

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How late to start?  (Read 12110 times)
TomAMoore
Energetic Member

« on: April 20, 2008, 07:05:58 pm »

It looks like I will not be able to take vacation until late September or early October. I plan on hiking the Way in 7/8 days. Is this too late in the season to start? Should I put it off until the spring? Next Fall?

thanks

Tom
Loon Dod
Energetic Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:19:14 am »

Don't see why you should.  Yes, you have less daylight but over 7/8 days it should still be OK.
I ran most of it in December between Xmas and new year last year.  It was nice and quiet.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 03:16:58 pm »

September/October can be a great time of year in Scotland, as long as you're aware of the shorter days (if you're based in the US you won't be used to how much the daylight varies here).  But the midges will be gone and the trail much less crowded. Smiley

You don't say whether you plan to camp or use B&Bs.  If the latter, you still need to book (and may have slightly less choice than in high season).

Over 7/8 days you have a relaxed schedule and daylight shouldn't be a problem.  You should also have time to look around and listen to birdsong and (if you're lucky) perhaps hear red deer roaring in the rut!  Please let us know how you get on idc. Huh

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
TomAMoore
Energetic Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:36:02 pm »

Sad

Folks:

Thanks for the info. However, my vacation was pushed back until mid/late Oct, (low person at work), so will not be able to do the WHW this year, but definitely looking to do it Fall 09, hopefully in late September. I was/am planning on using B&Bs and bag carrying and they all seem to shut down by mid Oct.

Tom
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:40:22 am »

Shocked to hear their priorities don't take your WHW needs into account Shocked  You're right, late October is far from ideal, mainly because the daylight is then an issue on longer sections and even if the weather is awful you just have to walk when it's light because you are committed to B&Bs (there are lots still open in late October, BTW, but much less choice than in season).  So go for September 2009 and make sure it's written into the vacation calendar.  Good luck! Smiley

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: