Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:14:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Great Glen Way

Perfect companion: 5th edition of our popular waterproof guidebook, extended and revised in 2014/16 to cover the High Route and other updates
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Great Glen Way, Fort William to Inverness, Scotland
| | |-+  How long is the Great Glen Way?

« previous next »

Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How long is the Great Glen Way?  (Read 29923 times)
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:51:23 am »

For the benefit of other forum users, Buggiba's main post on this is here. However, Buggiba, I don't think your Drum entry even mentions the Benleva Hotel, or have I missed it? Huh

Does everybody have a copy of the Accommodation & Services Guide booklet? It lists Drum from pages 56-60 (including Benleva Hotel) and is also available as a download through the official website.

We used to post these out free of charge, but postage is now prohibitive: the booklet now weighs 160 g - nearly as much as a Rucksack Reader! Shocked

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
bsmyth
Trusted Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:19:55 am »

Hadn't read the report until now, but what a good and interesting report it is. Benliva - we had a couple of pints there in the evening but unfortunately didn't notice it on the way into Drum at about 3.30pm. As I recall Benliva is kinda hidden out of the way up a drive and in trees. The point I was trying to make is when you walk into the centre of Drum there were a few hostelries and licensed premises within a short distance of each other, none of which were open for selling beer at that time. Having just completed that day's walking, we weren't of a mind to wander around looking for a place as we were staying at the Fiddlers in the centre of Drum (it wasn't open for business either). To be fair we may have passed a place just as you come to the first properties in Drum (is that the Backpackers?) but we thought we would walk into the centre and not have a problem finding somewhere on a lovely sunny day in what we thought was high tourist season. There were plenty of tourists but no real ales available. Not that we were desparate (!!!!) but we ended up asking for a shandy from a cafe beside the village green and we got ... wait for it ... a tin of a famous lager (which tastes like nits p***) and a tin of lemonade and had to mix it ourselves. Wow. A great advert for Scotland's tourism. Even when desperate for some liquid, it didn't quite hit the spot.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:54:06 am by Jacquetta » Logged
Buggiba

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »

Hi Jacquetta, my Good Beer Guide to the GGW appears under a different heading on the forum and the Benleva is definitely mentioned. Bsmyth you are also correct. The Benleva Hotel is concealed off the main road and behind trees. Personally I would crawl there if I had to Smiley. Not only is the Loch Ness Backpackers close to the route, it also has a licensed bar  Grin. I also recall there being another hostelry at the Lewiston end of 'town'. I cannot recall the name but I am sure it had something to do with Loch Ness or Nessie. Hope this helps.
Buggiba

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:40:24 pm »

Just as an add-on I also have a good beer guide to the East Highland Way should anyone ever need it Undecided.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »

Apologies, Buggiba, but you are alerting us all to the fact we are straying off-topic Sad

For those who want to read about good beer, Buggiba's has posted about both the Great Glen Way and West Highland Way.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:50:34 pm by Jacquetta » Logged

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: