Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:01:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

Cateran Trail

Perfect companion: our thoroughly revised rainproof guidebook with builtin Footprint mapping
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Cateran Trail, Perthshire
| | |-+  Cateran Trail Bag Transfer

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cateran Trail Bag Transfer  (Read 18557 times)
hilaryd

Email
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:23:56 pm »

Can anyone recommend someone who transfers bags between B&Bs on the Cateran Trail? 
I was absolutely staggered to be quoted GBP158 for 2 bags over 5 days by Glentrek.  I think we each paid GBP30 for a week's transfer on the WHW 2 years ago.  Even tho' that is a busier walk, surely people are not ready to spend the same on bag transfer as they do on accommodation!!
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

Hello Hilary
Agreed that GBP158 sounds far too much!  Have you tried a local taxi firm e.g. Jim Donald +44 1575-582 324 or try a web search for Blairgowrie taxi and see what comes up?

If that fails, how about travelling light and carrying your own?  I didn't carry more than about 6-7 kg on my research trip to write the book. Don't leave any safety or weatherproof gear behind but do try to live very simply for just five days and leave behind everything that relies on batteries/rechargers, is printed on heavy paper or is an alternative to something that you are already wearing or could easily buy at the next village, such as food.  You are never more than 7 miles from the nearest village.

Good luck, whatever you decide, enjoy the Trail and please tell us how you found it idc - Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
jmcpaul
Energetic Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:48 pm »

Hilary,

The taxi firm that Jacquetta quoted is the best solution for baggage transfers as he does all sorts of trips daily between the villages on the trail. You might also want to have a look at the website for the Glenisla Hotel as they do a package deal which includes baggage transfer if you use the hotel as your base for the walk. Their food is excellent and the rooms are OK.

Cheers, John
hilaryd

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:55:11 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers Hilary
katymonkey

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:06:30 pm »

When we walked the track  2 years ago we used Jim Donald and our bags were always waiting for us when we arrived, can't remember exact price approx £30-£40 each for the whole week.
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:22:58 am »

Anybody who is interested in this topic should also read the end of this post for comments on another Blairgowrie taxi firm and also background on Glentrek and groups.

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: