Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 05:16:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register

The Rob Roy Way

Perfect companion: 3rd ed (2012) of our popular waterproof guidebook for this newly recognised Scotland's Great Trail
Discount code: RRforums

+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  Rob Roy Way, from Drymen to Pitlochry, Scotland
| | |-+  Rob Roy Way Experience

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rob Roy Way Experience  (Read 14617 times)
nevmcgraw

Email
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:04:39 pm »

My two friends and I completed the Rob Roy Way in July and I would like to share our experences with anyone interested in attempting the Way.  First of all we decided to take 7 days and include the Amulree option.  Starting from our first overnight stay a Croftburn House, Croftamie (just outside Drymen) our other stays were at Forth Inn Aberfoyle, Inn and Bistro Strathyre, Craigard Hotel Killin, Ardtalnaig Lodge, Balnearn House Aberfeldy (two nights here because the Amulree Hotel was closed so we arranged taxi pick-up and drop-off.  We walked to Pitlochry on our 7th day (including the new off road section) and then went by train to Edinburgh for our last night for a meal and a few beers.

We had 10 minutes rain in those 7 days and our experiences were very positive.  The highlights were the variety of walking terrain, spectacular scenery (especially in the last 4 days), lack of midges and above all superb Scottish hospitality. A few of the pubs we frequented also featured musical entertainment at night which was also well received and compensated for the lack of real ale choices.  No, the RRW is not waymarked except in the forests but in a way we found that created more interest. There is little evidence also of the history of Rob Roy himself on the way and it seemed surprising to us that the official direct route did not visit his grave in Balquiddher.  To all intents and purposes the RRW could have been named the Trossachs and Tayside Trail instead.  Best day on the regular route for us would be the walk from Killin to Ardtalnaig with spectacular views in all directions.  However we felt that the opportunity to walk through lonely Glen Almond en route to Amulree was too good to miss and provided yet another rich experience to another marvellous Scottish outing. Cheesy
Kevc

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:19:35 am »

Hi, i'm thinking of doing the RRW within the next month. I just did the WHW and was looking for another walk to do before i go off to the army to help with the training. Was just wondering what the camping facilities are like along the way? I'm fine with wild camping but are there going to be suitable locations for this - even in relatively open woodland, or flat patches or grass a little off the track? Also was the rucsac readers book enough, or would the OS maps be necessary too?
Peter Craig

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:24 am »

There is a new and useful cut-off trail enabling walkers to avoid the use of the Invertrossachs road to Callander from the humpbacked bridge. Just cross the Invertrossachs road after the bridge and join the Scorttish Woodland Trust Path leading eastwards parallel to the road.  It leads to the car park near Kilmahog.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: